Question Moving my optiplex 7020 SFF motherboard into an Optiplex 790 DT case.

SSJBart2003

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
I wanted to get some expert thoughts before I do a tear down on both PCs. I want to keep all my same components. The PSU on the 790 appears to be the same width and height, just shorter. It all comes down to securing it and probably the i/o area. Looking forward to your thoughts!

Last edited:

SSJBart2003

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
Well I did it. GPU is now in the x16 slot where it belongs. The only thing I had to give up was all the front i/o. The 7020 SFF's i/o cable was too short to reach back to the front of the larger DT case. I am also glad the 790 case took the same size optical drive since I use the empty optical drive to SSD adapter. It fit fine. Also the computer runs a lot cooler under games then the SFF case did. Success? I would say yes, since I just had to tinker with things.

Feb 5, 2020
Hey! Just came across your thread. I have a 7010 sff that has a better cpu and I want to swap the mother board over to a 790 mt. Did you have to make any modifications to your 790 case? Thanks!

SSJBart2003

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
Hey! Just came across your thread. I have a 7010 sff that has a better cpu and I want to swap the mother board over to a 790 mt. Did you have to make any modifications to your 790 case? Thanks!

I can't believe I did not respond to you! I apologize.

I did purchase the SSD adapter that takes the place of the optical drive and uses its sata and power. You can then add a second HDD if you would want. The memory card reader on the 790 DT does not work due to no hookup. The front i/o...here is where its tricky. I had to purchase the one on ebay that has the blue and black ends. The 7020 SFF and 790 DT have different front setups. SFF with 4 usb in a square shape while the DT has 4 usb all vertical. This one from ebay is what I currently use.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optip...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It gives me the top 2 usb 2.0s only. (you still have all your ones in the back) No front audio either. I do not have the metal i/o shield, just the silver foam cutout pressed against it. I can imagine all of this being totally different with the 790 MT since its a bigger case. Any questions please let me know.

Bart