Moving old HDD to new Mobo

Hi, I am currently running the following on an ABIT SE6 (Intell PIII 866)
Mobo...

HDD - Seagate ST330630A IDE Ultra DMA 133 (Win98 SE installed)
CDROM - Hitachi GD-7500
CDR/RW - Samsung SW-252B
NVIDA GeForce2 MX400 (AGP 4x)

I plan to move to something like an ABIT AV8 Pro 3rd Eye (Athlon 64 939)
Mobo as the first stage in an upgrade programme. This would of course
include new memory purchase and most likely a 3000+ Winchester.

I am happy that the CD drives and Graphics Card will function OK but I am
less certain whether I could just plug in the HDD and expect a first time
boot up - any thoughts?

Many thanks.

Whenever you change the motherboard that is being used with a given
harddrive and XP installation, you MUST reformat the harddrive and do a
fresh install of the OS. Otherwise you will get nasty Registry errors and
data corruption.

--
DaveW

Russ Crowe wrote:
> Hi, I am currently running the following on an ABIT SE6 (Intell PIII 866)
> Mobo...
>
> HDD - Seagate ST330630A IDE Ultra DMA 133 (Win98 SE installed)
> CDROM - Hitachi GD-7500
> CDR/RW - Samsung SW-252B
> NVIDA GeForce2 MX400 (AGP 4x)
>
> I plan to move to something like an ABIT AV8 Pro 3rd Eye (Athlon 64 939)
> Mobo as the first stage in an upgrade programme. This would of course
> include new memory purchase and most likely a 3000+ Winchester.
>
> I am happy that the CD drives and Graphics Card will function OK but I am
> less certain whether I could just plug in the HDD and expect a first time
> boot up - any thoughts?
>
> Many thanks.

If you're running linux, yes. If you're running windows, then there are
several threads in the google archives from this group about changing
motherboards. The same applies here. Repair install or clean install,
your choice.

Cheers,

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

Just Win98 SE so no registration issues - only technical issues potentially?

"spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
> Russ Crowe wrote:
> > Hi, I am currently running the following on an ABIT SE6 (Intell PIII
866)
> > Mobo...
> >
> > HDD - Seagate ST330630A IDE Ultra DMA 133 (Win98 SE installed)
> > CDROM - Hitachi GD-7500
> > CDR/RW - Samsung SW-252B
> > NVIDA GeForce2 MX400 (AGP 4x)
> >
> > I plan to move to something like an ABIT AV8 Pro 3rd Eye (Athlon 64 939)
> > Mobo as the first stage in an upgrade programme. This would of course
> > include new memory purchase and most likely a 3000+ Winchester.
> >
> > I am happy that the CD drives and Graphics Card will function OK but I
am
> > less certain whether I could just plug in the HDD and expect a first
time
> > boot up - any thoughts?
> >
> > Many thanks.
> >

> If you're running linux, yes. If you're running windows, then there are
> several threads in the google archives from this group about changing
> motherboards. The same applies here. Repair install or clean install,
> your choice.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ari
>

> --
> spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo
>
> I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
> neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. Complications in
> hospital following this resulted in a serious illness. I now need a bone
> marrow transplant. Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow
> transplant, too. Please volunteer to be a marrow donor:
> http://www.abmdr.org.au/
> http://www.marrow.org/

Philo

> Just Win98 SE so no registration issues - only technical issues
> potentially?

win98se is pretty good at reconfiguring...
within a couple of reboots you should be all set...
however there is no guarantee of course...so be sure to backup your data
first.

if you end up with a non-bootable installation...
from dos, rename your win.com file (in the windows folder)
then reinstall windows and be sure to specify the reinstall goes back
in your original folder (usually C:\windows). do not take the default of
c:\windows.000

within the last few years i've done about 20 harddrive transplants for win98
machines and 19 of them turned out fine...
so your chances are good...but still do the backup!

Thanks chaps, I think I'll give it a go then. Given my choice of mobo (AV8
Pro 3rd Eye), would you expect that I could install my current HDD into the
IDE and a new SATA HDD into one of the SATA Raid connectors, allowing me to
gradually migrate over to the new one?

Russ Crowe wrote:
> Just Win98 SE so no registration issues - only technical issues potentially?

I wasn't worried about registration issues. It's the drivers (especially
for the motherboard) that will be the problem. Backup your data and do a
reinstall would be my recommendation.

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

DaveW wrote:

> Whenever you change the motherboard that is being used with a given
> harddrive and XP installation, you MUST reformat the harddrive and do a
> fresh install of the OS. Otherwise you will get nasty Registry errors and
> data corruption.

DaveW never learns.

Spajky

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 06:40:28 -0600, "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote:

>"Russ Crowe" <M@ximus.com> wrote in message
>> Just Win98 SE so no registration issues - only technical issues
>> potentially?

>win98se is pretty good at reconfiguring...
>within a couple of reboots you should be all set...
>however there is no guarantee of course...so be sure to backup your data
>first.
>
>if you end up with a non-bootable installation...
>from dos, rename your win.com file (in the windows folder)
>then reinstall windows and be sure to specify the reinstall goes back
>in your original folder (usually C:\windows). do not take the default of
>c:\windows.000

>within the last few years i've done about 20 harddrive transplants for win98
>machines and 19 of them turned out fine...
>so your chances are good...

the unsuccesfull one was IMHO an from Intel 2 AMD transplant just like
Russ´s one ...
--
˛˛ ˛˛ Regards , SPAJKY ®
\\.//_. mail addr. @ my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com

David Maynard wrote:
> DaveW wrote:
>
>> Whenever you change the motherboard that is being used with a given
>> harddrive and XP installation, you MUST reformat the harddrive and do
>> a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise you will get nasty Registry
>> errors and data corruption.
>>

> DaveW never learns.

Apparently. And his reading comprehension skills need some work, too
(the poster clearly stated in a followup that he's using win98)

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

> Whenever you change the motherboard that is being used with a given
> harddrive and XP installation, you MUST reformat the harddrive and do a
> fresh install of the OS. Otherwise you will get nasty Registry errors and
> data corruption.
>
> --
> DaveW

Dave - This just isn't accurate or true.

I've done several 'migrations' from one motherboard to another using the
same hard drive with Win XP. [Both were from an AMD Athlon XP to another
AMD Athlon XP MB]
I did have to uninstall/reinstall a couple applications and I did take the
time to remove 'hidden' devices from the previous motherboard. But, there
weren't any conflicts in drivers/devices.

From my experience, Win98 was more apt to have registery errors/conflicts
than Win XP when doing this type of migration.

Granted, conventional wisdom says to do a clean install, but both migrations
have been working fine for several months now. But, XP seems more
careful/precise about what is installed => hence, reducing the chance of
registry errors.