Question Moving old SSD to new PC

Sterling84

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
I have always built my own pc's, multiple kids and a career have made that more difficult so this time I decided to buy a prebuilt. Now I am kind of stuck because of course the prebuilt comes with Windows 10 already installed on a 1 tb ssd, I would like to keep my old 1TB SSD. Is it possible for me to keep my old drive , remove the SSD from the prebuilt and just use the old SSD in my new PC? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sterling84

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
Are you referring to trying to use the existing OS on the SSD, or just moving the physical drive and doing a full wipe and reinstall on the SSD?
My current drive is a Samsung 850 pro, the drive on the prebuilt is WD Blue. Preferably I would move the Samsung into the new build and keep all my files/programs etc. Windows 10 on my current build is an OEM version so I’m assuming that can’t be transferred over. My main concern is finding a way to basically mirror my current pc onto the new pc with the least amount of hassle, even if that means just using the WD ssd on the new computer and copying over what I can.

USAFRet

Titan
And THAT is near impossible.
You can't move programs over like that.
And moving the whole drive with its OS to a whole new system often/usually does not work.

Bite the bullet and install your applications on the new system, on its existing WD Blue.

Later, a possible switch from the WD Blue and Samsung, in this new system, may be possible.
But you can't take programs from A and apply them to B.