[SOLVED] Moving on from a old PC to something more up-to-date

aviskai

Prominent
Nov 4, 2018
I'm in the middle of planning a new PC build and would love to see if there are any suggestions or advice for what parts I should swap out. I plan on reusing the cooler, case, and psu for my upcoming build to save some money and since they're perfectly fine.
My current build is:

CPU: i5-4790K
GPU: EVGA GTX 970
Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 All-in-One CPU Liquid Cooling System Cooling
Case: Corsair 500R (White)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC Mate (MS-7850)
RAM: G.Skill 16GB DDR3
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS 80+ GOLD

My new build:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gcrcQq

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage 2: Toshiba 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage 3: ---
Video Card: ---
Case: Corsair 500R ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: LG 34UM95-P 34.0" 3440x1440 60 Hz Monitor

I've already purchased the i7-10700K, but I was wondering if all the other parts were okay with what I currently have that I want to reuse.

RAM is really undecided at the moment, since I'm not sure if there are some better choices for this motherboard, I've seen some suggested RAM on userbenchmark.com that I would consider using over this, but I'm not knowledgeable to the point where I know much about the timings for RAM.

I am also undecided for the GPU since prices are really up and down right now, so I'll probably reuse my GTX 970 unless I find a proper GPU (2070/2080 series). I know I'll probably need to upgrade to a 750W PSU if I want to really work with the 30-series GPUs.

1. If I might want to do a little overclocking, what RAM should I purchase? I assume that DDR4-3200 is enough headroom if I want to pump RAM up a bit as well. I'm looking for around the ~$120-140 range, which seems decent for 32GB, but please let me know if you'd suggest 4x8 or 2x16.
  2. How long should an average Liquid CPU Cooler be used for? I purchased mine in March 2017, no maintenance since it's closed loop.
Thank you so much!

Solution
Do you already have that 850 EVO or are you planning to buy it?

Memory choice is fine, if you want a really good memory kit then I'd suggest a 3200mhz CL14 kit like these, but they're not nearly as cheap as those CL16 sticks, which are fine too. They just aren't going to offer quite as "snappy" a feel as the CL14 kit, but whether the difference in performance is enough to warrant the price difference is something only you can answer. Considering not long ago ANY 32GB memory kit would have run you around 250 bucks or more, and most halfway decent 16GB kits were running around 170-200 bucks, I don't find the cost offensive at all but if you can use the money elsewhere in the build because of budget constraints then it's a good option to...
Do you already have that 850 EVO or are you planning to buy it?

Memory choice is fine, if you want a really good memory kit then I'd suggest a 3200mhz CL14 kit like these, but they're not nearly as cheap as those CL16 sticks, which are fine too. They just aren't going to offer quite as "snappy" a feel as the CL14 kit, but whether the difference in performance is enough to warrant the price difference is something only you can answer. Considering not long ago ANY 32GB memory kit would have run you around 250 bucks or more, and most halfway decent 16GB kits were running around 170-200 bucks, I don't find the cost offensive at all but if you can use the money elsewhere in the build because of budget constraints then it's a good option to stick with the lower priced CL16 3200mhz Trident Z sticks which are a fine choice too.

Don't look to "overclock" the memory. BUY memory AT the frequency you want to run them at, and buy them with the lowest CL latency you can get them in and are willing to pay for.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL14 Memory ($194.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $194.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-18 00:16 EDT-0400

Your loop is three years old, at least, considering it may have sat on a shelf for six months to a year before you bought it, or in a warehouse, and since the average lifespan for these moderately older coolers seems to be about five years, it might be a good idea to just replace it now, but again, if the cost is not easily consumed and the unit IS working fine, then just use it until it isn't but be sure to keep an eye on CPU thermals so you know if a problem becomes apparent.

Reactions: RodroX
Solution

aviskai

Prominent
Nov 4, 2018
Darkbreeze-

Thank you so much for your post! Your insight definitely helps a lot!

The 850 EVO is something I have purchased already with my current build. Sorry about not clarifying it in the part-list.

1. Would you ever recommend anything above 3200mhz for the RAM? or is 3200 @ CL16 more than enough?

The RAM prices definitely makes sense since prices have dropped tremendously the last time I've looked at them (5 years ago when I build my current PC). I think I'll stick with the CL16 since I don't know if the CL14 would be something I'll be too picky about or notice. I'll probably use the money saved on that to see if I can get a new cooler in place.

2. Anything you recommend for a new water cooler if I were to change one when my current one starts getting dangerous? My current Kraken X62 almost doesn't fit in my Corsair 500R case, but I managed to attach it albeit 1 less screw. No additionally drilled holes.

I have a few thoughts:

1. I7-10700K is as good as it gets for gaming.

2. I would drop the 3tb HDD in favor of a m.2 pcie ssd of whatever capacity you feel you can afford.
You can always add capacity later.
A Intel 660P m.2 pcie drive is not all that expensive, even for 2tb:
https://www.newegg.com/intel-660p-series-2tb/p/N82E16820167461?&quicklink=true

3. Your psu is a very good one and should be fine even for a rtx3080 card.
No need to change it out.

4. On graphics, I would think about the rtx3070 assuming it is as good a deal as the 3080.
If you plan on 4k gaming, then hold out for a 3080.

5. Intel does not much depend on fast ram.
3200 speed is fine, but I think you can find 3600 speed for not much difference.
Here is a corsair lpx 3600 speed kit for $115.
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820236596
I would not pay extra for RGB "bling"

6. You have a very nice case for air cooling.
Love the white.
Your current X62 will do the job.
In time, liquid coolers seem to deteriorate, so if you are inclined to change it out, I would look at one of the noctua twin tower coolers like the noctua NH-D15s.
It will cool as well as any 240 aio.
And be quieter and more reliable while doing so.
And... it will not leak.
Noctua makes some black cooler versions if the beige fan offends you.

I'm going to assume the 3TB HDD is already part of the current system as well?

How long has that 850 EVO been in service?

If you want another AIO cooler, this would be a fine choice.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT 63 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($138.94 @ Amazon)
Total: $138.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-18 15:33 EDT-0400

If you want to go with an air cooler, then I'd probably look at one of these.

Noctua NH-D14 (Replace stock fans with NF-A14 industrialPPC 2000rpm)
Noctua NH-D15/D15 SE-AM4
Noctua NH-D14 (With original fans)
Thermalright Silver arrow IB-E Extreme
Cryorig R1 Ultimate or Universal
Thermalright Legrand Macho RT
Phanteks PH-TC14PE (BK,BL, OR or RD)
Thermalright Macho X2
Deepcool Assassin III
Thermalright Macho rev. C
Thermalright Macho rev.B
Thermalright ARO-M14G (Ryzen only)
Thermalright Macho direct
SilentiumPC Fortis 3 HE1425
Deepcool Assassin II
Be Quiet Dark rock Pro 4

Intel might be "as good as it gets for gaming" but it also begs the question of "how good is good enough" for a lot of people. Do you go with an AMD CPU and platform, that costs 75 dollars less overall and gets you 60-70 FPS at your target quality settings, or do you pay more for the Intel platform that gets you an extra 12FPS that you don't actually NEED because you are already exceeding the target frame rate of your refresh rate? Either platform is fine, but AMD, at least for THIS current set of generational hardwares, is generally less expensive for a motherboard and CPU than Intel, and, especially on the higher end SKUs has significantly lower power consumption.

aviskai

Prominent
Nov 4, 2018
Thank you for your replies!

HDD - I do want to look into a replacement HDD, which so far I think I'll get the "Seagate IronWolf NAS 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive" since I do have an interest in building a NAS.

Monitor/GPU - I'm holding onto the idea of 1440p gaming for a while since I'm not ready to buy a 4K screen anytime soon, nor do I have any need for it. I'm open to getting anything that's decent or available from where I'm trying to find deals. 2070/2080/2080ti/3070/etc

RAM: Great! I was never so into the LED lighting at all, I would rather have everything matching in color than RGB. But I'm okay with multi colors since I'm not too picky about it since the case is enclosed.

-----

Regarding the SSD and HDD, both of them have been in service for the same amount of time: 5 years. Benchmarks shows the HDD performance has been slowly decreasing however the SSD seems perfectly fine.

^ Same amount of time with the PSU, but from the manufacturing site, it seems this model is pretty stable for approximately ~11 years, so I think I'll hold back on a new one for now.

That cooler definitely seems nice! Do you happen to know if it's perfectly compatible with the Corsair 500R? I know the 500R is a bit of an older case so there might not be much details on it...

---

Bought the i7-10700K for $350, so I bit on having another Intel rig this time, else I think I would have waited for a Zen 3 release and go from there.