[SOLVED] Moving on to ripping DVDs... recommendations for software to do lossless ripping of DVDs?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Since I have my NAS up and running, and have ripped my CDs to it with Exact Audio Copy, it's pretty much as the title says - what's the preferred software to do this with DVDs?

I'm looking to, when accessing the resulting files, having them behave exactly as a DVD stuck in a DVD player would - menus, extras, etc.

For playback, ideally something that would work through my Roku, though I'd obviously like to play back through PC (Windows and Linux) and Chromebook as well.

Yes, I'm completely new to this!

Oh, also, I do have a small number of Blu-Ray discs, so, recommendations for that would be helpful as well (assuming the same software doesn't do both DVD and Blu-Ray), though these will obviously have to wait until I get an external Blu-Ray reader.

Last edited:
Solution
Back in the day i used DVD Shrink but it was discontinued back in 2005, not sure if it still works for new discs but i dont see why it wouldnt. Havent ripped a DVD since around 2002

DVD shrink still works, on older and un-protected disks.

MakeMKV is a good program for everything else. I don't record anything past the main movie however, so don't know how well it will handle encoding extra features and how well a media player will handle it.
Back in the day i used DVD Shrink but it was discontinued back in 2005, not sure if it still works for new discs but i dont see why it wouldnt. Havent ripped a DVD since around 2002

DVD shrink still works, on older and un-protected disks.

MakeMKV is a good program for everything else. I don't record anything past the main movie however, so don't know how well it will handle encoding extra features and how well a media player will handle it.

Solution