Moving OS files to new SSD

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
I am running out of space on my 60GB OCZ Agility 3 (for those of you who are about to say it, I know, I should have seen that coming). If I upgrade to a 120GB drive can I move everything from the 60GB drive to the 120GB drive or will I have to do a fresh install on the 120GB drive?

I'll do a fresh install if I have to, but obviously I'd rather avoid it if I can.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
No problem
Use windows 7 to image your 60 Gig SSD. Located in Control Panel, Backup. It will image the Boot drive and the 100 MB Partition. You can either create a recovery disk or, as I do, Just use a Win 7 Installation Disk to put the image onto the new SSD.

It will recreate the 100 MB partition and the "C" drive. Then Use windows 7 disk managment to expand the C drive fom 60 gigs to 120 gigs.
I did this for my 80 gig Intel drive to a 128 gig drive. It recreated the 100 Mb partition and the 80 gig partition. Booted up, went to Diskmanagement expander the 80 gigs to 128 gigs. Used As ssd to verify driver and partition alignment - ALL AOK.

NOTE. I do NOT recommend doing this from HDD -> SSD, nor if changing MBs/storage...

tecmo34

Administrator
You can move all the files to the new SSD by using a Cloning program and clone your current SSD and install it on your new SSD. After doing so, check your alignment though AS SSD to make sure it is still aligned properly (an issue you can see after the cloning process :( )

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

thanks, that sounds like what I was looking for. do you have a recommended program?

No problem
Use windows 7 to image your 60 Gig SSD. Located in Control Panel, Backup. It will image the Boot drive and the 100 MB Partition. You can either create a recovery disk or, as I do, Just use a Win 7 Installation Disk to put the image onto the new SSD.

It will recreate the 100 MB partition and the "C" drive. Then Use windows 7 disk managment to expand the C drive fom 60 gigs to 120 gigs.
I did this for my 80 gig Intel drive to a 128 gig drive. It recreated the 100 Mb partition and the 80 gig partition. Booted up, went to Diskmanagement expander the 80 gigs to 128 gigs. Used As ssd to verify driver and partition alignment - ALL AOK.

NOTE. I do NOT recommend doing this from HDD -> SSD, nor if changing MBs/storage drivers.

Solution