Moving OS to another HardDrive/SSD

RighteousGamer

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
Currently, I am using Seagate - 1TB HDD, but I plan to be adding (not replacing the HDD) a Crucial MX100 256GB SSD. I was wondering if anyone could give me a rundown of how to change where the OS was installed. I currently run Windows 8.1, standard directory.
(Also a run down of how to change boot drives, I have a pretty decent idea, but I have never done so before)
Thanks ahead of time!

Solution

A full reinstall on the SSD is by far the recommended way forward.
Obviously, 520GB will not fit onto a 256GB drive. And there is not anything to select 'this, but not that'.

RighteousGamer

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013

First, I've used 530GB (400 GB free)

Second, I do not know exactly, I believe around 13 months though.

1) You can't just do the OS like that, You would need to clean install all over again to the SSD is the normal / reliable way to do it.
2) Simple step FYI:
Google "Move Steam to Another Drive" and "add SSD step by step"
You can find both youtube videoa and articles on it.
3) The simpliest layout (just follow the logic flow) is to:
A) Get cheap ($45) 1TB Ext Drive
B) Backup your DATA (not system) to the Ext Drive.
C) follow STEAM HDD move instructions to temporarily move to this drive (basic drag and drop of the common folder)
D) make a DBAN CD, wipe the TB, install SSD, insert Windows to install to SSD
E) SPEND ALOT OF TIME installing apps (Office, webborwsers etc.) after going to Windows Store then Windows update to get Windows to Windows8.1 Update version.
F) run SlimDrivers to make sure you have the latest drivers
G) Restore your DATA then follow steps to make the HDD D drive your steam drive
H) NO CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLIK - REPEAT to yoru self NO CLICKY
For now and forever you need to MANUALLY tell Windows when EVER you update / install something at the INSTALL PATH option from C:\Program Files(x86)\ThisSoftware to D:\Program Files (x86)\This Software . Otherwise you will fill your SSD drive in no time flat. NO there is NO automatic way, it is only done manually.

That is it in a nut shell

USAFRet

Titan

A full reinstall on the SSD is by far the recommended way forward.
Obviously, 520GB will not fit onto a 256GB drive. And there is not anything to select 'this, but not that'.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS