[SOLVED] Moving OS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Peiguy

Reputable
Apr 7, 2019
I'm planning on purchasing a Crucial P1 as my secondary drive, im wondering how I can transfer windows 10 to the new drive for a faster boot time as im using a HDD as my main drive, would I have to delete everything or can I just move the OS to the new drive?

Solution
-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is...

Peiguy

Reputable
Apr 7, 2019
Can you use the Crucial software? Probably. I've never used it, so that's why I did not list it.
The new clone process should take care of what is currently on it.
Ok nevermind it works not i just had to manually select it from the bios and now it boots up fine. But now that it boots up fine how do I move specific files to the hard drive and how do I download games and files specifically on the hard drive

USAFRet

Titan
Ok nevermind it works not i just had to manually select it from the bios and now it boots up fine. But now that it boots up fine how do I move specific files to the hard drive and how do I download games and files specifically on the hard drive
What is on the drive? If you are satisfied, wipe it clean.
Not just "format", but rather delete all existing partitions and start with a fully blank drive.

In your browser settings, change the default location to somewhere on the HDD.
Make a couple of top level folders, and whatever application you use...save a doc there. Applications have become pretty good at managing different drives. Should be easy.

Put some of your Steam games on it.
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game