[SOLVED] Moving OS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Peiguy

Prominent
Apr 7, 2019
Whatever tool you use....power OFF< disconnect the old drive, and allow the system to try to boot up from only the new drive.
Alright, I used the crucial software to clone the data but now I get a bsod with the stop code saying: inaccessible_boot_device so I have no idea what is going on

Peiguy

Prominent
Apr 7, 2019
Can you use the Crucial software? Probably. I've never used it, so that's why I did not list it.
The new clone process should take care of what is currently on it.
Ok nevermind it works not i just had to manually select it from the bios and now it boots up fine. But now that it boots up fine how do I move specific files to the hard drive and how do I download games and files specifically on the hard drive

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Ok nevermind it works not i just had to manually select it from the bios and now it boots up fine. But now that it boots up fine how do I move specific files to the hard drive and how do I download games and files specifically on the hard drive
What is on the drive? If you are satisfied, wipe it clean.
Not just "format", but rather delete all existing partitions and start with a fully blank drive.

In your browser settings, change the default location to somewhere on the HDD.
Make a couple of top level folders, and whatever application you use...save a doc there. Applications have become pretty good at managing different drives. Should be easy.

Put some of your Steam games on it.
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties