moving pagefile doesn't work, pagefile is created on C: anyway

bartNL

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
Hi,

I'm looking to move my pagefile to my ext.hdd, so i've set the proper pagefile location and size in system props>perf.options>virtual memory.
C: pagefile is disabled and D: has a 512MB-4096MB pagefile.
However, if i look into my C: drive i find the pagefile of 512MB and on my D: drive there's no pagefile at all.
So windows goes it's own way, and tries to fool me with no sense making settings.

When i start up, windows says somthing like 'Windows created a temporary pagefile blabla maybe somewhat larger than you specified." So i checked again and my settings are still the same.
But i just can't move that annoying pagefile.. anyone an idea?
thanks

bartNL

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

Why not? There are plenty tutorials which use the method i described?
In addition to my question, is it possible to downsize (or even disable) swapfile.sys as well?
I seriously never even touch a single metro app or the metro menu so i assume i don't need it.

bartNL

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

1.I did as folows: Cloned my system from my internal hdd to an ssd an built in that ssd in my laptop.
2.bought a HDDhousing (sata>usb) and now im using my former systemdrive as an ext.hdd.
So i don't know exactly what you mean by hook it up via sata, can you be more specific?
I can't swap those drives and boot via usb and set pagefile on the 'interal-external hdd' if that's what you mean.

bartNL

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

@USAFRet: i hope you're not becoming tired of answering my questions ;)
I have 8GB RAM installed, recommended pagefile is approx. half of this size.
I tried to reduce pagefile to max.128mb but windows wouldn't be satisfied with this amount and therefore bumped it up to 512MB. My pc never runs out of ram so i think it's different because of my setup. it does 'need' it though it has enough ram at it's disposal.

bartNL

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

That's it, only a few apps.. So i have disabled the pagefile now, i'll see if i run into problems.
until then, i'll leave it disabled. a pitty it's not simple to move it to ext.hdd

usb is usb......... sata is sata............ thought it was a computer not a laptop. usb to sata isn't going to work for what I was thinking.............. hooking the HD to the sata port on the motherboard and dumping page file to that vs trying to dump on the external via usb.

i never checked pagefile on an ssd.......... does it exist? is it needed?............. anyways............ why not just make the minimum and maximum 10,000 for both and call it a day? you have enough system ram.

bartNL

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

Didn't assume you actually meant that but that was the only thing i could make of it..
But thanks for your efforts.
Now it seems like you are thinking loud out on the forum, I don't really understand you..
But yes apparently a pagefile on an SSD exists yeah.. i don't think it's needed when system is provided with 8GB of ram, so i disabled the pagefile.