Moving picture and audio files to SD card

drgibson

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017
On my Samsung S7, I want to move the picture and audio files to my SD card. What's the best app for this or should I do it on the computer via USB?
Also, once I move them from internal to SD storage, how does Gallery and my music player app (in my case, ITunes) know where they are now? They are no longer in the directory where they were last seen and the same for music files that got moved.

Solution

you are very welcome, if you could please choose my answer as a solution/best answer?

Thanks

bobmanuk

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
all samsungs have an app called my files, in the app list, there is a tools menu, usually right at the top of the first page, it looks like an orange/yellow folder.

From there you can go through the folders on your phone, select the files you want to move, and then move them to the sdcard.

dont worry about gallery or google play music or any other app, they should have a function that will automatically search the sdcard or internal memory for new media, if it doesnt, it might be worth changing to a different app that does.

drgibson

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017
Thanks so much for your help. I found the My Files app and am learning it. The move command wasn't obvious but I got going. Now I have to play with it enough to see if it will overwrite existing files or not. The app I used moved just enough of certain file types that I have a minor mess on my hands but I'll figure it out.

bobmanuk

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

you are very welcome, if you could please choose my answer as a solution/best answer?

Thanks

Solution

drgibson

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017
So after I move these picture files for example, will that program automatically know to store the new pictures in the new location on the SD card or will it still record new pictures in the original location?

How come I can't get the app My Files to move onto the app screens now? When I press and hold it to try to drag it over so I can move it to the home screen, it doesn't change so that I can drag it else where.

bobmanuk

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

You would need to change the camera app to store new photos on the SD card, open camera, press the cog in the top left, and on storage location, press it and choose SD Card, it will save new photos on the SD Card under DCIM and Camera.

As for putting My Files onto the desktop, im not sure why you cant just drag from the app drawer. It works for me, not sure what else to suggest im afraid.

drgibson

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017

drgibson

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017
OK, thanks. The camera was already set to SD for unreasonable and I found the My Files app on the Samsung apps little square deal along with a bunch of other apps from Samsung. Don't remember what you call one of those collection of apps button but that's where it was once I remembered those exist.

bobmanuk

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

I know what you mean, but you can still have a shortcut in a group folder (im not sure what you call it either) and on your main screen as well

If you see a screenshot from my phone http://imgur.com/a/JPumx

you see theres a folder called office, next to it, is excel, even though its also in the office folder, you CAN even put the same icon next to each other on the same screen