[SOLVED] Moving/Re-Ordering Partitions/Unallocated Storage

InfernoxCJC

Honorable
Sep 21, 2014
Evening guys!
I may have done a stupid... I managed to fix said stupid, but it has left a 'scar' that is driving me crazy so I'm hoping one of you geniuses can help me!

So, I am currently dual-booting Fedora and Windows and managed to botch my Fedora install last night while tinkering and very sleepily decided to reinstall it and decided it would be a great idea to reformat my EFI partition (the stupid...) I've since managed to remake my EFI partition using diskpart and have a fresh Fedora install alongside Windows 10. Now for the 'scar', diskpart didn't place my new EFI partition in the originals location (at the start of the drive), instead placing it at the end so I now have 100MB of unallocated storage at the start of my drive that I don't know what to do with.

I'm not massively experienced with proper disk management, I'll admit I only made the swap from MBR to GPT very recently having not even known the difference, so I appreciate that this might actually be incredibly simple to resolve but that loose 100MB is seriously driving me nuts so I'm hoping I can get rid of it!

Thanks for your help,
Infer

Solution
Well to remove it you first need to backup the entire drive in case things go wrong.
Many of us use Macrium Reflect Free to create an image of the drive (you'll need another drive for this).
This software can also make a bootbalbe Recuse USB Flash drive.
I would then boot from said flash drive to restore the image but this time drag the partitions over one at a time being sure to leave that 100mb at the end. Then change the size of the last partition so that it uses up the 100mb.

There's other software out there that will do this 'Live' but a backup is still recommended (mandatory IMO) and it takes much much longer since it has to continually shuffle your data around while it does this.

popatim

Titan
Well to remove it you first need to backup the entire drive in case things go wrong.
Many of us use Macrium Reflect Free to create an image of the drive (you'll need another drive for this).
This software can also make a bootbalbe Recuse USB Flash drive.
I would then boot from said flash drive to restore the image but this time drag the partitions over one at a time being sure to leave that 100mb at the end. Then change the size of the last partition so that it uses up the 100mb.

There's other software out there that will do this 'Live' but a backup is still recommended (mandatory IMO) and it takes much much longer since it has to continually shuffle your data around while it does this.

Solution

InfernoxCJC

Honorable
Sep 21, 2014
Thanks for the input guys,

I'm probably due a Windows reinstall in the not to distant future so I will probably just leave it as you initially suggested but I really do appreciate the guidance with regards to how to actually resolve it, should I manage to make a considerably larger hole in the future!

Thanks as always,
Infer