[SOLVED] Moving secondary drive to new pc

Oct 6, 2020
My current PC has a small SSD for the OS and a larger HDD with files and programs. The new PC I'm building is going to have a larger SSD, however, so I want to clone the SSD over, expand the partition and move over the larger HDD.

Is there any reason this shouldn't work? Or ways to do this better?

Solution
My understanding was that it's possible to clone a drive with an OS onto a new drive and that you don't NEED to use a fresh install?
On a new drive in the same system, yes.

Moving to a whole new system? A clean install is strongly recommended, often required.
A Windows install is not as modular as we'd all like.

Basically, three outcomes:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks
I've seen all 3.

The greater disparity in the parts, old and new, the greater likliehood of #2 & 3.

USAFRet

Titan
Unclear what you're actually doing.

The NEW system needs a fresh OS install, on whatever will be its main drive.
Not a clone from the old.

For the secondary drive, and programs on that are null and void with the new OS in the new system.

My understanding was that it's possible to clone a drive with an OS onto a new drive and that you don't NEED to use a fresh install?

Fraught with issues doing it that way.

New hardware that's distinctly different from the old pc will 99.99999% encounter problems at some point cloning from an old install.

You may not notice them straight away, you may not notice them at all - But I can almost guarantee they will be there with the odd seemingly 'random' bsod etc.

USAFRet

Titan
On a new drive in the same system, yes.

Moving to a whole new system? A clean install is strongly recommended, often required.
A Windows install is not as modular as we'd all like.

Basically, three outcomes:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks
I've seen all 3.

The greater disparity in the parts, old and new, the greater likliehood of #2 & 3.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS