Moving SOME of my steam games to an SSD.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

games_maxed

Honorable
Jul 21, 2013
Just got an SSD and I have about 10-12 steam games on my hard drive. I have about 90 GBs free after installing Windows 7 on the SSD so I'd like to put some games and editing programs on there. However, the only game I have through steam that would really benefit from an SSD is Amnesia: The Dark Descent because it has some ridiculous level load times. The rest I'd like to keep on my HDD. How can I do this?.

I looked at the article that Steam themselves posted on this but they only tell you how to move the whole library. I only want to move one game.

Of course, I'm wanting to avoid downloading the games again. Mostly because I live in a rural area and although my download speeds aren't that shabby (8 Mbit/s) I get throttled pretty quickly down to about 200Kbit/s.

Solution
This is a little late, but anyone else with the question.. this is all you have to do:

1. Go to Steam settings and add a game library for the other HDD or SSD you are moving games to. I made a D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\ to mirror the steam install on C:

2. Copy the game folder in \common\ to the other drive, and then go back into \SteamApps\ and find the .acf for the game (looks like appmanifest_XXXXXX.acf) To find what acf is for your game, go to steam, go to your library, click "View store page" and when it loads the game's store page, right click and copy url... go into your browser and paste the link, the number at the end is the .ACF number. Now, move that .ACF into the /SteamApps/ folder on the other...

Timmmaahh

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016

This does not work anymore, as Steam no longer "discovers" anything. It will just pop up a warning saying "invalid install path"

Just use the steam mover utility in the link above. Hassle free, and actually works

ClaretT

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017

Not true, this works fine. Just don't bother with the appmanifest .ACF part (step 2) as this simply tells steam a game has been installed on that drive and will therefore cause it to be deleted from both drives.

Vanpotheos

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017
In Steam; click Settings > Downloads > Steam Library Folders > ADD Library Folder > (make the folder)

Drag and drop game files from original HDD location and paste into new SSD location...

Not sure why everyone is making such a fuss about this. Or why so many companies are taking the opportunity to sling mal-ware around.

DO NOT download any third party apps to do this.
They just want to rob you. Literally...

Here is a more detailed explanation of what I listed above: https://www.howtogeek.com/269515/how-to-move-a-steam-game-to-another-drive-without-re-downloading-it/

Hopefully this solution out-SEO's the spam-ware guys trying to brick your PC. Don't download their trash-apps, please.

RevoLand

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015

There is only 2 references to 3rd party apps. Steam Mover (outdated) and Steam Library Manager (open source with mit license)

Companies? Malwares? You clearly have no idea about what you are talking. Examine before shooting randomly else you are missing like now.

Status
Not open for further replies.