moving SSD from AMD Laptop to an Intel laptop

c6joe

Prominent
Sep 14, 2017
I wish to move a Windows 7 Pro, 64bit, SSD boot hard drive from an AMD based laptop, to an Intel i7 laptop, without losing any data and programs. Can this be done and how?

Many thanks!

Joe

Solution

No.
Moving it to new hardware will require (almost certainly) a clean install in that new hardware.

In moving to new hardware, and trying to keep the old OS, there are 3 possible outcomes:
1. It boots up just fine
2. It fails completely
3. It boots up, but you chase little issues for weeks.

It's not just the...

USAFRet

Titan

That is HIGHLY unlikely to simply boot up.
There is no magic dust you can sprinkle on it to change that.

USAFRet

Titan

And and a clean reinstall of the OS means reinstalling your programs as well.
Your personal data should be off on another drive during this process.

c6joe

Prominent
Sep 14, 2017
Sorry, Wasn't clear on my response...I used to be able to *reinstall* the op system, over the old, using the install disc, so that the drive could be moved to a different chipset computer. Have not tried that with Win 7 Pro. Your are hinting that that is not possible with 7, or you haven't heard of anyone who has tried it?

BTW, many thanks for the quick turnaround on your responses..they *are* appreciated!

Joe

USAFRet

Titan

No.
Moving it to new hardware will require (almost certainly) a clean install in that new hardware.

In moving to new hardware, and trying to keep the old OS, there are 3 possible outcomes:
1. It boots up just fine
2. It fails completely
3. It boots up, but you chase little issues for weeks.

It's not just the "chipset", it works at a deeper level that that.
And the greater the hardware differences (old AMD->New Intel) speaks to Not Working.
And Win 7 even more. Win 10 is better at this than Win 7, but still no guarantees of it working even with WIn 10.

I've personally seen all 3 of the outcomes above, with various hardware and OS's.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS