[SOLVED] Moving SSD that has OS from desktop to laptop for testing

Dasa

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Hello,

I have desktop with SSD that has windows 10 I want to test it on an old laptop to see how much fast it will get with it's old CPU having and SSD instead of HDD...I am just worried that I could mess up the drivers on this SSD that when I put it back to desktop it will create driver problems or future problems or something?

Is this totally safe?

If NOT safe I have 300GB free on the SSD, maybe I can install another OS on it for testing, whats the easiest way to do this? the test is only for a very short time to see boot up speed and so and back to desktop...

Solution
Hello,

I have desktop with SSD that has windows 10 I want to test it on an old laptop to see how much fast it will get with it's old CPU having and SSD instead of HDD...I am just worried that I could mess up the drivers on this SSD that when I put it back to desktop it will create driver problems or future problems or something?

Is this totally safe?

If NOT safe I have 300GB free on the SSD, maybe I can install another OS on it for testing, whats the easiest way to do this? the test is only for a very short time to see boot up speed and so and back to desktop...
Don't move that drive with its OS.
Not only will it almost certainly not work in the laptop...in trying to make itself work, it might not then work when you put...

USAFRet

Titan
Hello,

Is this totally safe?

Not only will it almost certainly not work in the laptop...in trying to make itself work, it might not then work when you put it back in the desktop.

And don't install another OS on it. Far too convoluted.

What specific laptop is this?
No matter how old, with anything that can run WIn 10, an SSD WILL make a significant difference.

Reactions: Dasa
Solution

Dasa

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
It is not safe.
Image or full backup the drive before you move it and then restore it when you put it back.
You will need another drive to store the image on.

Wow I was going to do it without asking, thank God I did because I hate solving PC problems, I no longer have stomach for that lol

I will sure do that if I decide to do it, doesn't seem worthy honestly for 5 minutes testing specially because I have zero experience with imaging software

Thank you

Not only will it almost certainly not work in the laptop...in trying to make itself work, it might not then work when you put it back in the desktop.

And don't install another OS on it. Far too convoluted.

What specific laptop is this?
No matter how old, with anything that can run WIn 10, an SSD WILL make a significant difference.

Ohhh that is worse than I expected...

The Laptop is ancient, Core 2 T6600/ 2GB RAM / 5600rpm HDD...

I added more ram and it changed zero to boot up speed and app start, but I now can run 2 browsers with no problem, before that laptop would stop responding, I know SSD is the most effective in boot speed and start up of programs but I still expected some change, none...

So I know SSD will improve things (not sure how much since this is old PC) but let me ask this...

If I change RAM with 64 bit system to 8GB and add get SSD where would I feel the effect of having an old CPU? what daily tasks would still be very slow?

I am also considering a CPU upgrade but I had trouble knowing what is the fastest CPU compatible with this Laptop, I expected it to be easy question but it wasn't

Last edited:

Dasa

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
2GB RAM and a slow HDD WILL be slow.
Increasing the RAM and an SSD will make a large difference. But, it is what it is. That C2D will never be "fast".

And you almost certainly can't change the CPU.

Don't be a party pooper :kikou:

Speed is a relative thing, I am not trying to win a benchmark contest or crack hashes, I am just looking to end up with a laptop that won't raise my blood pressure while browsing the internet, on the cheap. I don't want to pay 300 USD on a new laptop just to browse internet (don't compare what you can get in USA 2nd hand to what I can get locally, it's more expensive here), I just want to make this a usable laptop, to be fast "compared to before" not compared to your i7-4790k, I will never buy an i7 CPU not even if I had money lol

Also, why not be able to change the CPU? it's not soldered :??:

I know upgrading to say Q9100 means nothing to you but if I can get 50% improvement for 15USD why not? (in addition to SSD and 8GB RAM)

Dasa

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Dude I have love/hate relation with you lol You're very helpful soul beyond normal but you are very very very pessimistic! I don't want to even answer your last reply, it's hopeless...

I made you a new banner please accept it (it's a joke, I respect you, don't hate me)

cRGzigz.png