[SOLVED] Moving SSD to new PC build

Jul 12, 2020
First Post!

I bought a Razer Blade 15 2020 but going to return it due to the poor gaming performance. (2070 Max-Q wasn't that great)

I had just bought a Samsung 970 Evo and installed it into my laptop for more gaming storage.

Now that I am returning, I have decided to build a PC and wanted to use that same SSD for my new build, but don't know what I need to do to completely erase it so it can be the same as when I first took it out of the box.

All I had on the SSD was games, and NOT Windows 10. Hoping there's a quick fix!!

Thank you for your time in advance,

Zach

Solution
Thank you all for thew quick response.

Do I need to delete the partition? I plan on using this SSD for my boot drive building the new PC.

Also, when I try and delete everything on the SSD, it says " You need permission to perform this action. You require permission fro TrustedInstaller to make changes to this folder."
For using it as the boot drive in the new system, read here:
Jul 12, 2020

Do I need to delete the partition? I plan on using this SSD for my boot drive building the new PC.

Also, when I try and delete everything on the SSD, it says " You need permission to perform this action. You require permission fro TrustedInstaller to make changes to this folder."

USAFRet

Titan

For using it as the boot drive in the new system, read here:

Solution
Jul 12, 2020
USAFRet,

So after reading this, I can keep all of the content on the SSD and when I install Windows on the new PC, it will give me an option to erase and re-partition?

Sorry, never done this before,

Zach

USAFRet

Titan
USAFRet,

So after reading this, I can keep all of the content on the SSD and when I install Windows on the new PC, it will give me an option to erase and re-partition?

Sorry, never done this before,

Zach
Yes.
There is no need to delete anything or prepare it before the new OS install.

When it asks 'Where', you select Custom.
You'll be presented with a list of all partitions on it.
DELETE all, and proceed on with one blank space.

Jul 12, 2020
USAFRet,

Sorry, never done this before
Yes.
There is no need to delete anything or prepare it before the new OS install.

When it asks 'Where', you select Custom.
You'll be presented with a list of all partitions on it.
DELETE all, and proceed on with one blank space.

YOU ARE THE MAN!

Thank you!!

Zach

jasonf2

Distinguished
Depending on what you have on the drive you may want to reformat it. A re partition isn't really necessary. I have done this a couple of times in the past and because of registry stuff with applications like steam or installed programs on the drive you may have large amounts of program files that are useless on the drive. If you format it will clean everything off, but with a fresh start and reinstalling programs you won't have the island program file issues. Just make sure that if you have any important files to copy them onto your primary before the format and you should be good.

TRENDING THREADS