[SOLVED] moving temp/user file's off SSD to HDD

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
Hi

I just started moving user file's to F drive and realized it did not make new folders. I tried restoring properties to the shortcut's in "This PC" and I get some error about the system restore folder. So I disabled system restore. Now the short cuts in "This PC" clam's the folders are back in c drive but clearly are not. I now have 2 Documents short cuts with different thumb nails in "This PC". I now have no desktop shortcut in "This PC".

Also any other files/folders I should move to HDD ?

Colif

Win 11 Master

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
Which user folders? Do you mean the library folders or did you try to move the actual User folder?

shame you turned off system restore as I would have suggested you use it to fix the problem

move onedrive folder to hdd (if you use it)

turn off hibernate or at least shrink it if you only use fast startup - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/25151-specify-hiberfile-type-full-reduced-windows-10-a.html
I disabled sys restore after trying to move the folder locations back. I disabled it because wen trying to move the folders back it gave errors about sys restore folder. If I scan drives to recover sys restore folder can I get sys restore to read and restore the user library folder locations ?

What about programs temp folders ? Shuld I try moving them ? I also have a few VM's

Colif

Win 11 Master
I disabled sys restore after trying to move the folder locations back. I disabled it because wen trying to move the folders back it gave errors about sys restore folder. If I scan drives to recover sys restore folder can I get sys restore to read and restore the user library folder locations ?

I don't know... its not something I have any experience with.

if its only library locations, you should be able to set them back to defaults but when asked if you want to move all contents, say No... as otherwise it will try to move hidden folders. You would need to move the contents manually

trick with moving library folders is make the destination folder before moving anything as Win 10 sometimes uses the entire drive and that just makes it hard to get it back again. Helps to make sure the shortcut it offers is to the drive you made and not just the drive letter too.

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
I don't know... its not something I have any experience with.

if its only library locations, you should be able to set them back to defaults but when asked if you want to move all contents, say No... as otherwise it will try to move hidden folders. You would need to move the contents manually

trick with moving library folders is make the destination folder before moving anything as Win 10 sometimes uses the entire drive and that just makes it hard to get it back again. Helps to make sure the shortcut it offers is to the drive you made and not just the drive letter too.
I don't have folders to chaing back because thay all are in drive (f://) so no folder that says desktop, Doc and so on.

USAFRet

Titan
I read that I shuld try to use HDD not SSD for stuff that constantly update's/wright's to drive.
That must have been an old post, or someone not quite clued in.

Consumer grade SSD's over the last several years...that is not an issue.
Normal drives have been wear tested to last well into the petabyte range. That is the equivalent of writing several hundred GB, per day, every day, for years.

Normal consumer use (yes, even with running multipole VM's) will not seee that level of use for a couple of decades.

Many people, myself included, are SSD only. I have 6 drives in this system, about 3.5TB of drive space.
The only spinning drives I have are in or attached to my NAS box.

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
lol.. I fell like a tard. I was moving for health of drive. But my SSD model is a few years old samsung 850 EVO 500gb. Brand new for me.

I also heard a persion want's to shut off paging on SSD.

Any who.. I had to delete user to fix it.

TY both for all you'r input.

Last edited: