Moving to a New SSHD on Win 7 Laptop

gx27470

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
So I currently have a Windows 7 Lenovo Ideapad Y560 with a 500GB HDD installed. I'm looking to buy a Seagate Hybrid Drive (1TB 2.5" SATA III). But I was wondering how I should go about moving my old drive into the new one. I want for the new drive to be an exact copy of my old drive and be bootable, and for the boot files (Windows) to be stored in the solid-state portion of the drive. Any ideas or applications?

Solution
The SSD part of an SSHD is used as cache only. You have zero control over what the drive decides to store there. All you can do is use the file(s) frequently so that it will decide to store them there.

Cloning will do what you need it to but I suggest making a backup copy of your drive as well as insuring you have created your restore media, written down your various accounts and passwords, and are sure of your products keys for software installed - just in case things go wrong.

popatim

Titan
The SSD part of an SSHD is used as cache only. You have zero control over what the drive decides to store there. All you can do is use the file(s) frequently so that it will decide to store them there.

Cloning will do what you need it to but I suggest making a backup copy of your drive as well as insuring you have created your restore media, written down your various accounts and passwords, and are sure of your products keys for software installed - just in case things go wrong.

Solution

gx27470

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014

Thanks so much! Glad you could clear up my problem