[SOLVED] Moving Win10 OS SSD from AMD to Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.

nib01

Commendable
Jul 24, 2019
At first, I had my Windows 10 OS running on an Intel motherboard and moved the SSD into an AMD CPU/Motherboard, so that everything worked fine without any issues. But after a while when I decided to move it back to the original Intel motherboard (where it was installed before), the OS booted up with no problem but the only issue is that the OS suddenly runs very slowly now compared with the Intel motherboard where it was running as normal.

Window 10 Pro, Ver. 2004

Last edited:
Solution
Well, if you had gone through the solution as suggested and still didn't work? At least I did try, Ill update here with the results.
We...the collective "we"...have tried. Multiple times personally, and seen hundreds, nay thousands, of people here doing the same.
Yours is not the first attempt at this.

Of my 3 possibilities above, I've personally had all 3.
Yes/No/Sorta...

No 2 systems on the planet are the same. Hardware and software stack, ALL are different.
No 2 combinations of old and new are the same.

Yours might work. Or it might not.
You've already found that it failed in the reverse direction.

We've seen people here who try it from A -> B, and it fails. But in trying to make itself work on B, Windows changes...

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
At first, I had my Windows 10 OS running on an Intel motherboard and moved the SSD into an AMD CPU/Motherboard, so that everything worked fine without any issues. But after a while when I decided to move it back to the original Intel motherboard (where it was installed before), the OS booted up with no problem but the only issue is that the OS suddenly runs very slowly now compared with the Intel motherboard where it was running as normal.

Window 10 Pro, Ver. 2004
It’s probably best to reinstall Windows when you switch a bootable drive between computers. The drivers for one system won’t work as well (or at all) for another system. Though you can probably install the correct drivers, it’s best to reinstall Windows and leave the drive in one computer.

USAFRet

Titan

Window 10 Pro, Ver. 2004
Yes, this happens.

3 possibilities:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months

You've found both 1 & 3.

nib01

Commendable
Jul 24, 2019
While the OS still runs when the SSD is installed on the intel mobo, how about if I try to copy the entire OS partition into a brand new SSD using a migration tool, probably the only solution I could think of right now.

nib01

Commendable
Jul 24, 2019
I'm thinking maybe the migration tool would allow the correct drivers to be installed during the migration process since it's already running within the Window OS.

USAFRet

Titan
Well, if you had gone through the solution as suggested and still didn't work? At least I did try, Ill update here with the results.
We...the collective "we"...have tried. Multiple times personally, and seen hundreds, nay thousands, of people here doing the same.
Yours is not the first attempt at this.

Of my 3 possibilities above, I've personally had all 3.
Yes/No/Sorta...

No 2 systems on the planet are the same. Hardware and software stack, ALL are different.
No 2 combinations of old and new are the same.

Yours might work. Or it might not.
You've already found that it failed in the reverse direction.

We've seen people here who try it from A -> B, and it fails. But in trying to make itself work on B, Windows changes just enough that going from B back to A also fails. So now that same install works on neither system.

You can wish all you want.
But that does not guarantee success.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.