[SOLVED] Moving Win10 to RAID 0 questions

Dec 30, 2018
I just built my PC today, and I'm already re-thinking getting only a 500Gb SSD. Here are relevant specs:

Ryzen 7 2700X on ASUS X470 Prime Pro
Samsung 970 Pro 500Gb

With everything installed (of course I purchased a bunch of new games from Steam that I will probably never get to, because I want to be a proper gamer :) ), I now have less than 150Gb left. I think I need to spring for the 1Tb drive, but the 970 Pro is over $400, and I don't feel like re-installing/re-downloading everything again. Does it make sense/does anyone see any issues with doing the following:

1. Clone the current M.2 drive to a spare SSD I have
2. Get and install second 970 Pro, and configure for RAID 0
3. Clone my OS from spare SSD onto the RAID 0 M.2 config

Doing it this way is $100 cheaper, should be slightly faster, and I don't have to redo everything. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Solution

In addition, your board appears to have only 1 m.2 port

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X470-PRO/specifications/
In the M.2 port, your motherboard will take only 1x NVMe drive OR 1x SATA drive

---------------------------
AMD Ryzen™ 2nd Generation/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ Ryzen™ 1st Generation Processors :
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The first question that occurs to me is why you want to use RAID0 at all? I was given to understand that, with SSDs, there's little to no performance benefit...

This is an article from 2013, though I imagine what it states still holds true.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485.html

I'd say:
1 - Remove current 970 Pro
2 - Install new 970 Pro
3 - Clean Install Windows
4 - Install Steam
5 - Go in your Steam account and uninstall all games (they're not actually on the drive, of course, but you need to convince Steam they're not installed)
6 - Put in the 970 Pro that you removed in step 1, and set it up as drive D
7 - Launch Steam, go and set the Steam library directory on the D drive as a second library folder.
8 - Go through each of your games and install them to the second (D drive) library folder. For each game, it will only download a few small files, inform Windows that the games are installed (registry entries, etc, and now they will show up in Settings -> Apps), see that the rest of the files are already there, and be done.
9 - Enjoy your SSDs without worrying about RAID 0

USAFRet

Titan
RAID 0 with SATA III SSD - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485.html
tl-dr = Not user facing benefit

RAID 0 with NVMe SSD - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-950-pro-256gb-raid-report,4449.html
tl-dr = Might even be a bit slower than individual drives

Personally, I'd just add a second drive as a second drive. No RAID 0 at all.

You can use either or both drives for game install location, and you can move games between drives as desired.
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

Dec 30, 2018
OK, thanks, I guess my answer is clear, I can't be too lazy :) I also have GOG, Origin, and Battle.net, but I'm sure I can move them in similar fashion, so separate games-only drive it is.

UPDATE: Crap, I have a TC-Link PCIe WiFi card I'm using, so I'm short 1 lane... OK, I guess I'll have to get the 1Tb drive. I assume I can clone 500Gb onto 1Tb drive with no issues?

USAFRet

Titan

In addition, your board appears to have only 1 m.2 port

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X470-PRO/specifications/
In the M.2 port, your motherboard will take only 1x NVMe drive OR 1x SATA drive

---------------------------
AMD Ryzen™ 2nd Generation/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ Ryzen™ 1st Generation Processors :
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
AMD 7th Generation A-Series/Athlon X4 Processors :
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (SATA mode)
AMD X470 chipset :
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 2 mode)*3
6 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s)
Support Raid 0, 1, 10
-----------------------------

My suggestion:
Leave the OS on the current 970 NVMe drive.
Add a 1TB SATA III SSD for games and whatever.

Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Why not just buy a 1tb 860 EVO SATA drive and put your games on it and leave the 500gb as your boot drive. You will never notice the performance difference under gaming between a 970 Pro and an 860 evo.

Dec 30, 2018

Now I'm totally confused. I see two M.2 slots on my MB. Only one is heat-sinked. From general description from their website:

Next-gen connectivity: Supreme flexibility with dual M.2 support, NVME RAID support, USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports and front-panel header

But then as you linked, in specifications it says 1. I think it's a typo.

Anyway, I just ordered the 1Gb 970 Pro, much simpler that way after all... Thanks everyone!

Dec 30, 2018
Did a little research. Here's the scoop on the X470 Prime Pro:

CPU lanes are for the GPU AND 1st M.2 slot:
- 16 lanes for one GPU, or 8 apiece for SLI
- 4 lanes for 1st M.2 slot

Second M.2 slot takes 2 lanes from chipset and works as SATA, and is x2 only (and reduces available SATA ports).