Question Moving windows 10 os install

Download win 10 direct from microsoft to a usb stick and do a clean install on the other drive.
While doing so, keep the original drive disconnected.

Why do you want to do this?

If you are thinking you can run old apps from the other drive, it won't work.
They would need to be reisntalled

I was just wondering if there's a way to move my windows 10 installatiin to another drive as a fresh install?
If you mean to migrate to a new SSD or HDD for use in the same system there are a number of tools available. I've used EaseUS. The trial version works and is free, although there's a limit to how many times and what you can do such as re-sizing the partions. You'll have to do that in Drive Manager afterwords.

But as others note, this is not a 'fresh install'. Everything, all apps and settings and data will be the exact same except the drive itself.

Last edited:

Lanereed01

Prominent
Feb 20, 2021
My pc has drives with data already on them, if I created a small partition for the os on the ssd would it affect the other drives, and what size partition would you recommend if I use it solely for the os and not apps?

Lanereed01

Prominent
Feb 20, 2021
I'd like to have the partition for just the os, not any apps or anything else. The ssd still has a little inder half of it's storage taken up. I could temporarily transfer the data to the 1 tb hdd then partition the ssd and then move the os right?

Again, what is your objective in doing this?
Are you running out of space on the m.2?

One can not simply do a clean windows install anywhere and expect old apps to run.
A clean install creates an empty registry that apps need to run.

USAFRet gave you good advice.

If you buy a larger ssd to replace the m.2. it is easy to move the m.2 C drive to a different dedicated ssd.
a 500gb samsung 870 EVO is about $65

Lanereed01

Prominent
Feb 20, 2021
What size would you recommend? I have moved all apps off my m.2 and still only have 8 gb free. It's a 118gb drive I have a second m.2 slot on my motherboard and 2 extra sata 6gb ports in my mobo.

What size would you recommend? I have moved all apps off my m.2 and still only have 8 gb free. It's a 118gb drive I have a second m.2 slot on my motherboard and 2 extra sata 6gb ports in my mobo.
120GB really is quite small for a modern Windows installation...but have you run all of the disk cleanup utilities? When windows does updates it leaves quite a few old files and the cleanup utility will get those if you are sure to select to clean up system files.

Another thing to keep in mind is you'll need a 2nd compatible M.2 socket to migrate a running OS to a new M.2 NVME. While it's possible to migrate to a SATA drive, then swap M.2's and migrate to the new M.2 but that's fraught with problems.

The best option then would be a clean install on the new M.2 and restore files from a backup.

Last edited: