Moving Windows 8 to a new computer

Blakey47

Honorable
May 29, 2013
I had bought Windows 8 for my current PC a few months ago, I haven't got a physical copy of the CD nor the download as I got the upgrade through a local store advertising a cheap upgrade. Which I jumped on the great deal after a research check.

With the back ground of the OS, is there any way I can transfer my current OS to a new computer in which I'm currently building?
With the plan of scrapping the one I'm currently using.

If so, how do I go by doing this?

Solution
The Product ID is NOT your Windows 8 Product Key. Please see this Microsoft Community thread discussing the recovery of the Windows 8 product key. Your product key should have 5 sets of 5 digits (XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX). The product ID on my machine has 4 sets of 5 digits.

If your product key is an upgrade key, you must have Windows 7, Vista, XP SP3, or a Windows 8 version already on the machine and running before you can start the upgrade. This article (the same one SR-71 Blackbird linked) explains the upgrade process and has a paragraph about the full version. The full System Builder versions require hardware that has the ‘Designed for Windows 8’ logo and are touch capable. Since you have this installed on your...

Blakey47

Honorable
May 29, 2013

Basically my local store than I sent my computer to for the upgrade done all of this for me, I believe it's the full version. But I haven't gotten a product key as I hadn't received a physical copy nor do I have the receipt.
Is there any way I can get my product key giving my circumstances?

Oh and, I plan to install the OS from boot. So I won't be upgrading the existing windows, it'll be the first OS install.

Thanks

Ovaltripod110

Honorable
May 28, 2013
to retrieve your product key all you need to do is right-click the bottem left corner of the screen, click on "system" then srcroll to the bottem of the page and your "Product ID" is your key.

Blakey47

Honorable
May 29, 2013

Thank you, I have it.

Can anyone explain to me how I'm suppose to install Windows 8 to my new build without a CD or download? Is it possible to use a USB and transfer it over at first boot?

Ovaltripod110

Honorable
May 28, 2013

WinOutreach4

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
The Product ID is NOT your Windows 8 Product Key. Please see this Microsoft Community thread discussing the recovery of the Windows 8 product key. Your product key should have 5 sets of 5 digits (XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX). The product ID on my machine has 4 sets of 5 digits.

If your product key is an upgrade key, you must have Windows 7, Vista, XP SP3, or a Windows 8 version already on the machine and running before you can start the upgrade. This article (the same one SR-71 Blackbird linked) explains the upgrade process and has a paragraph about the full version. The full System Builder versions require hardware that has the ‘Designed for Windows 8’ logo and are touch capable. Since you have this installed on your current pc that you are replacing, I will assume that the current pc is older… therefore you most likely have an upgrade version of Windows 8.

Hope this helps,

David
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro
The Springboard Series on TechNet

Solution