Moving windows 8 upgrade from old PC to new

imattacus

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
I'm building a new PC, I have a copy of windows 8 pro upgrade edition. I want to use this to install windows 8. I've heard that to use the same license I need to remove windows 8 from the old pc?

How do I do this? I don't really want to lose all of the documents and program's on my current hdd as I'm hoping to use this drive in my new build paired with an ssd.

So basically, how do I remove windows 8 from the old machine to satisfy the requirements to install the upgrade on a new machine?

Also... I have win 8 upgrade, I also have win 7 upgrade. Can I install win 7 upgrade on a PC without windows? If not, can I just install an oem version of windows 7 that comes with a laptop just temporarily to use the win 8 upgrade?

UPGRADE: Means to ADD to and Change an EXISTING thing. For you to use any Windows you listed you would already need WINDOWS on the HDD BEFORE the UPGRADE copy is applied.

That said, you have a current PC, if the license came with that 'off the shelf' system (Dell, Gateway, whatever) it is ONLY valid for that PC, it can not and never is allowed to transfer to anything else BECAUSE the ToS for using Windows is ONLY with that make and model (read that nice fine print you ignored on the packaging).

New PC, NEW copy of Windows. Again two different things, and further NO you can't "keep" the programs from a old computer just as they are onto a new computer. New PC NEW install of the software IF you have the licensed DVDs for each, and just like Microsoft said, the same is for those ONLY ONE PC PER COPY OF THE SOFTWARE (unless you have a multilicensed copy).

Now back in Win7 and Vista was a nice software called Windows Easy Transfer Wizard, beautiful easy tool. Plug a external drive to your computer, run the Wizard, say your on your old PC, point to the external drive, while you wait create your SAME NAME account on the new computer. When it finished, walk the drive to the new PC and log in under the SAME NAME account as you had on the old computer. Run the same Wizard and say your on the new PC, tell it to get the stuff from the external drive, and wait. Then when it is done, reboot and magically it was like you kept most things with it, backgrounds, icons, documents, etc. Now most of the time the software should also been installed on the New PC so it matched up before the move, otherwise you couldn't use that 'shortcut'.

I don't know if Windows 8 has this anymore, I would open HELP and type the name in and see. You might be lucky and be able to do the same thing for your Data.

imattacus

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
I do understand that a full version of windows is required to install to a machine with no other OS. However, I have a windows vista disk that came with an old dell laptop. For some reason I'm sure I've used that disk in systems other than dells before, purely so I can use the windows upgrade.i obviously wouldn't intend on staying with a dell windows vista on my new PC.

That being said I also had the thought,if I take the HDD out of my old PC with windows 8 installed on it. Then booted the PC up - would the PC to into windows repair mode? Because it doesn't recognise the new mobo? And then I can install windows 8 onto the new ssd?