Moving Windows from Partition to Partition.

Llewcas

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
Hi there, I'm having this little problem that I need to solve.
I don't remember/know how it happened but my Windows 8 Partition got moved to another partition and was somehow replaced by my Windows' XP System Reserved
My partitions are like this:
A:/B: ???
C: System Reserved (Where my Windows 8 used to be)
E: Windows 8
H: Windows XP

What I want to do is to move Windows 8 to C: and place System Reserved anywhere where it can work, since I don't really know how that partition works, I can't really tell if it gets moved I can no longer boot either of my windows, since the only one I can boot is just Windows XP. Windows 8 just won't boot. Anyways if there is another solution for both Windows to boot that would be great.

My boot.ini goes like:

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows 8" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

I'm still not sure wether Windows 8 is partition no. 2/3/4.

If you require me to add more info just please tell me because I really need to fix this problem.

Thanks in advance!

Solution

Well...anytime you start moving partitions around, there is ALWAYS the opportunity for a major fail. So you should have any critical files saved elsewhere and offline during the process.

And if you have that, a reinstall is no more difficult.

Trying to move those partitions around in only one drive merely increases the fail potential.

Llewcas

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014

I got so many stuff that I can't lose, documents and programs, otherwise I wouldnt be asking.

USAFRet

Titan

Well...anytime you start moving partitions around, there is ALWAYS the opportunity for a major fail. So you should have any critical files saved elsewhere and offline during the process.

And if you have that, a reinstall is no more difficult.

Trying to move those partitions around in only one drive merely increases the fail potential.

Solution