Moving Windows On Hardrive

Oranod

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015
I'm planning on getting a new PC and was wondering if its possible to move my hardrive from my old PC to my new PC and be able to boot up windows up without any problems?

Solution
well that makes it easier, make an ISO image on a disc or USB, then clean install windows (make sure you took everything you care about off the HDD) then put in the product key, and poof windows 10 should work. sure beats calling microsoft.
with windows 7 you probably can, with windows 10, you might need to re install it. I would think windows 8 would behave like windows 10. I would back up your stuff, and then try it, worst comes to worst you have to use the ISO disc (which I hope you did not throw out) and get a good clean fresh copy which is good to do anyway.

Oranod

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015

I still have my Windows 8.1 installation disk but I no longer have the product key will this be a problem or is the disk all I need?

okay, see with windows 10 things get bothersome. after you upgraded your windows 8 product key effectively vanished, and windows 10 simple uses the hardware IDs in your system to know it is in the right place.

in order to re install it, you would need to download the windows 10 installer ISO onto a a blank 4.7GB DVD disc, or at least 4GB USB (eight to play it safe) and then use it to clean install windows 10.

the fun part comes with calling microsoft and tell them that you moved hardware and thus need it reactivated...

so do the backup see if it works, and if not be prepared to have to go phone up microsoft.... avoid calling near the afternoon if you are in the US, as it seems the workers if you get a US based one, are more eager to just transfer you into oblivion so as to get out of work early.

Oranod

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015

I also have a digital license linked to my Microsoft account and was wondering if that'll work or if I'll still need to call up Microsoft?

Is your original copy of Windows 8.1 OEM? If yes you cannot transfer it, it is tied to the original motherboard. If its a full retail copy you can now install Win 10 and use your 8.1 key to activate as your 8.1 key will have been upgraded for 10.

With any version of Windows if you change motherboard its highly recommended you reinstall. Even if the system boots not doing a reinstall may lead to instability or performance issues.

Oranod

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015

I believe its for 10

well that makes it easier, make an ISO image on a disc or USB, then clean install windows (make sure you took everything you care about off the HDD) then put in the product key, and poof windows 10 should work. sure beats calling microsoft.

Solution

Oranod

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015

Thanks for the help!