Question Moving Windows to SSD and keeping HDD as a storage drive

Jul 31, 2019
Hi, I just bought an M.2 SSD and I wanted to move Windows to it without doing a clean install. Do I just clone the HDD to the SSD, then format the HDD and move what I want to the HDD ? Reading online and on this forum, I understood that there is now way to move just Windows 10 on the SSD, which I initially thought I'd do. So, what are my best options ? Thanks for the help.

Yes you can either clone the entire HDD, or split the HDD into two partitions C: for your system and D: for data you want to keep on the hard drive. If you do the latter then you don't need to move anything on D: and save yourself some time. Once cloning is done remove the HDD - see if everything boots fine. if it does you can delete the C: partition on the HDD later or (remove the drive letter) and proceed.

Hi, I just bought an M.2 SSD and I wanted to move Windows to it without doing a clean install. Do I just clone the HDD to the SSD, then format the HDD and move what I want to the HDD ? Reading online and on this forum, I understood that there is now way to move just Windows 10 on the SSD, which I initially thought I'd do. So, what are my best options ? Thanks for the help.

Jul 31, 2019
split the HDD into two partitions C: for your system and D: for data you want to keep on the hard drive. If you do the latter then you don't need to move anything on D: and save yourself some time. Once cloning is done remove the HDD - see if everything boots fine. if it does you can delete the C: partition on the HDD later or (remove the drive letter) and proceed.
Hey, I didn't think of that ! That's pretty smart. Now I've got a couple of questions though: What software should I use to clone the HDD ? Do you have any recommendations ? Also, to remove the HDD, do I just unplug the SATA cable from my motherboard ? Thanks again