Question Moving Windows10 to new NVME drive

DanWarner

Honorable
Nov 26, 2016
I just ordered a larger, faster NVME drive than my current one. I'd like to create a windows image to the new drive to make it my primary drive, then use my old NVME drive as secondary storage. I was thinking that I'd install the new drive into the second NVME slot, create the Windows image to the new drive, then shut down the PC and switch the new drive to the first NVME slot, making in the primary drive. Then wipe the data from the old drive. I'd create a secondary windows image to my external HDD in case of any problems. Does anyone foresee any issues with this method? Would having Windows on the old drive as well as the new one create any issues before I wipe the old drive?

I just ordered a larger, faster NVME drive than my current one. I'd like to create a windows image to the new drive to make it my primary drive, then use my old NVME drive as secondary storage. I was thinking that I'd install the new drive into the second NVME slot, create the Windows image to the new drive, then shut down the PC and switch the new drive to the first NVME slot, making in the primary drive. Then wipe the data from the old drive. I'd create a secondary windows image to my external HDD in case of any problems. Does anyone foresee any issues with this method? Would having Windows on the old drive as well as the new one create any issues before I wipe the old drive?

"create the Windows image to the new drive".....

Not sure exactly what you mean by that.

What I'd do:

Use Macrium Reflect Free.

Create an image file of ALL partitions on the old drive. Save that image on the external.

Make Macrium rescue media on a USB stick.

Remove the old drive.

Install the new drive.

Boot from the Macrium rescue media USB stick.

Restore the Macrium image from the external to the new drive.

Then do whatever you want with the old drive.

You could also use Macrium cloning rather than imaging. Either should work and you would have the same end result.

DanWarner

Honorable
Nov 26, 2016
If you insist, OK.

It's cranky and non-intuitive.

It "works", but you need to be aware of its peculiarities. Do you have prior experience with it?

Microsoft recommends you use 3rd party tools and is no longer developing the built-in tool.
Oh, I wasn't aware it had issues. I've used it to clone my drive to a backup HDD just in case I need it, but I've haven't yet ever had to use it.

Oh, I wasn't aware it had issues. I've used it to clone my drive to a backup HDD just in case I need it, but I've haven't yet ever had to use it.

I take that to mean you have not attempted to boot from the backup HDD that received the clone?

Might want to see if it will actually boot. If it won't, you wasted your time.

It's up to you.........you can try using the built in tool to move to the new NVMe. If it works, good for you.

If it doesn't, use some other tool.

Cloning and imaging are different processes, with the same end result. Cloning is one step; imaging is two steps (make an image file; restore that image file). I don't know if the built in tool will do both. Macrium will.

Suit yourself.