Moving work and home computer into one

Apr 6, 2018
Hey all,

I have been living abroad for a while and have had a cheap office computer, however it has a lot of important files on it, so I brought it's drive back with me when I came home. My plan was to move it into my gaming PC, and either be able to switch back and forth by choosing which drive to boot from, or just being able to merge them together and use the programmes i need for work such as photoshop.

Now that I've plugged it in I've realised it's not so simple. I'm fairly savvy about hardware but know nothing about software. The strange thing is the device shows as 2 different drives, local disc E-Drive and F Drive, and I have the option to eject it (named tigo SSD 120GB ATA device).

What's my best option here? Both are running Windows 7 Ultimate.

When I try to boot up the work drive, it just flashes a blue screen and shuts back down.

Appreciate any advice dudes, Thanks!

Solution
Yes, your computer has a C: so it can't assign the partitions of the other drive to C:. You must also have a D: drive for it to start at E:.

You should be able to boot into safe mode with a transplanted drive. Though I agree the files are more important.

If the drive was encrypted, this isn't the place to ask about that.

If not, the files should be accessible under the C:\user\*account*\desktop directory of the account in question. It may be necessary to run a tool like TakeOwnership to make yourself the owner of the files.

You won't really be able to run any of the software from the other drive, they will only be registered to the OS they were installed in. Not to mention potential license violations.

ragnar-gd

Reputable
You can't boot from your old office-ssd, as it brings drivers from the old machine, which may produce problems, and needs drivers from the new machine (which you cannot install now).
Boot from your Gaming-PC only, and locate any important files on your "office-ssd". Make a second backup of that files (ideally to an external HDD, perhaps to an USB-stick).
Install the software you need for these files on your gaming-PC.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, your computer has a C: so it can't assign the partitions of the other drive to C:. You must also have a D: drive for it to start at E:.

You should be able to boot into safe mode with a transplanted drive. Though I agree the files are more important.

If the drive was encrypted, this isn't the place to ask about that.

If not, the files should be accessible under the C:\user\*account*\desktop directory of the account in question. It may be necessary to run a tool like TakeOwnership to make yourself the owner of the files.

You won't really be able to run any of the software from the other drive, they will only be registered to the OS they were installed in. Not to mention potential license violations.

Solution