Moving XP to New Hard Drive on Same Computer

I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with a Pentium 4, 1.8 GHz. A while back, I
installed a new ~75GB hard drive as the secondary drive (slave is the term,
right?). Based on the fact that this is a newer drive, and on my own
experience using the computer, I'm pretty sure the new drive is a lot faster
than the original one.

I'd like to make the best use of this additional speed, and was thinking
about moving Windows and most of my program files to it. The older, 40GB
drive could then be used for backup/archives.

I've done some initial searches, both here and on MS's knowledge base, but
couldn't find instructions for doing what I want to do. Also review
www.michaelstevenstech.com, found the Move XP section, but still didn't seem
like an exact match.

My preference is not to reinstall everything if I can, but I know it's not
just a simple matter of moving files. Can anyone point me to instructions
for doing what I want to do?

Thanks,
Todd

Probably, the best way to go would be to image your old drive since it
seems to be working nicely and place that image
on the new drive. Programs such as Acronis True Image and Ghost do that.
I would also check at the manufacturers website of the newer hard drive.
They may have a free App to do that also.
"T. Jenkins" <TJenkins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with a Pentium 4, 1.8 GHz. A while back, I
> installed a new ~75GB hard drive as the secondary drive (slave is the
> term,
> right?). Based on the fact that this is a newer drive, and on my own
> experience using the computer, I'm pretty sure the new drive is a lot
> faster
> than the original one.
>
> I'd like to make the best use of this additional speed, and was thinking
> about moving Windows and most of my program files to it. The older, 40GB
> drive could then be used for backup/archives.
>
> I've done some initial searches, both here and on MS's knowledge base, but
> couldn't find instructions for doing what I want to do. Also review
> www.michaelstevenstech.com, found the Move XP section, but still didn't
> seem
> like an exact match.
>
> My preference is not to reinstall everything if I can, but I know it's not
> just a simple matter of moving files. Can anyone point me to instructions
> for doing what I want to do?
>
> Thanks,
> Todd

Hello, Jenkins!
I would recommend you to use Acronis True
Image[http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage]. I've
been using it for a long time, first to megrate my OS from one HDD onto
another, but now I use it as backup purpose.
So, this software has graete intuitive windows wizard, that it will be
very easy to do move your OS.
First of all install True Image>than craete a "disk clone", and now you
may choose: at once restore clone onto new HDD(slave) or make a
bootable CD.
It'll take you about 20-30 min, and it's really reliable way.

Cloning the old HD to the new is easy, as there are probably thousands of
prgrams for that..
Like this: http://www.miray.de/download/sat.hdclone.html or from the new
disk manufacturer's homepages

When you have the cloning program installed on a floppy, your old HD as
master and new HD as slave, boot from the floppy and, following
instructions, copy old HD -> new HD. (Some progs allow for changing
partition sizes as part of the process)

When copied, power down, disconnect both drives, jumper new disk as master,
connect it, DON'T connect old disk!!; boot and check that everything is
working.
If so, NOW you can jumper old disk as slave, connect it, re-partition/format
(DiskManager, diskmgmt.msc) and use...

Text below is by Rick Rogers, replace Ghost2003 with any suitable program:
USING GHOST 2003 TO CLONE AN INTERNAL HARD DRIVE TO A NOTHER HARD
DRIVE

1. Open your desktop computer case and disconnect the IDE ribbon cable from
the hard drive that you will NOT be cloning from. Connect that cable to the
hard drive that you will be cloning to. Naturally that drive will be outside
your computer case so you'll have to prop it up in some fashion in order
that the ribbon cable (and power plug) will reach it. Depending on the size
of the computer case and/or cable length, sometimes you're able to lay the
drive on top of the case on a piece of foam or cardboard. Other times you
can place a cardboard box (or something similar) adjacent to the computer
case and cable connection on which to lay the drive. Handle the drive with
care, holding it by its sides. Avoid touching the electronics panel on the
bottom of the drive. Connect a free Molex power plug to the drive if one is
available. If not, use the power plug from the disconnected drive.
2. After verifying that your connections are OK, insert the Ghost bootable
floppy disk and boot. Make absolutely certain that as you go through the
cloning process, you've correctly selected the source disk (the disk you're
cloning FROM) and the destination disk (the disk you're cloning TO). I
cannot stress this enough. More than one user (including myself!) has (to
his or her dismay) mistakenly identified the source and destination disks
with the usual miserable consequences.
3. After the cloning process ends, disconnect the ribbon cable and power
plug from the newly cloned drive and reconnect these to the drive from which
it was previously removed. Disconnect the ribbon cable and power plug from
your old drive and remove the drive. Then install the newly cloned one in
its place. Make sure your jumper settings on the new drive are identical (in
configuration) to the drive you're replacing. Connect the ribbon cable and
power plug from the old drive to the new one.
4. Boot the computer to verify that all is well. Assuming it is, close the
computer case.

--
Tumppi
Reply to group