Mozilla Plans to Drop Version Numbers from Firefox

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fullforce

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
[citation][nom]darkxuy[/nom]This is so stupid.I have an idea for them, make the version number after the compilation date (e.g. Firefox 11.08.16), tada! no more version worries.[/citation]

they should hide the browers lol
i might move to chrome soon...

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Usually any press is supposed to be good for business.

But stupid retarded business ideas like this... I hope it burns Mozilla good.

People should be FIRED. Anyone in that meeting who thought THIS is a good idea, gone - period. If I was in charge of Mozilla / FireFox, I'd do it. Obviously they've hired idiots and are only useful for doing more stupid things. They can get a job with Bachmann or Perry.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
[citation][nom]Cache[/nom]This wasn't about having a version number, but they did not want to be releasing Firefox 6 when you can see Chrome 13. It's a human instinct to assume that the appended numbers mean something, and so marketing kicks in to keep people from making assumptions that Chrome must be twice as good as Firefox because it's got twice the numbers after the name. Same reason Microsoft called it the XBox 360, because they didn't want XBox 2 against PS3.[/citation]
Seems like you're one of the few people that get it. Blaming Mozilla for doing away with version numbers is a little silly, considering that the competition has simply flown with version numbers. Chrome is not necessarily offering 7 versions worth of stuff extra that FireFox 6 currently offers. But psychology will kick in and say "gee, 13 is bigger than 6, so Chrome 13 must be better than FireFox 6." That logic of course falls apart as Chrome 7 was not necessarily better than FireFox 6.

Mozilla's other option would be to inflate their version numbers as well. (as they are currently doing) Kind of like how Slackware Linux suddenly jumped from version 4.0 to 7.0. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slackware#History)

In either case, the version number itself loses it's original meaning.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Why the Versions numbers war is such stupid BS:

If that WAS true, then people would have been flocking to Opera since its been version 11.xx for about 6 months, version 10.xx for over a year before 11.0.

Wouldn't have people have disregarded Chrome 1~3, considering Opera's age?

m_gol

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
What's the issue? There isn't going to be a problem with "which version you use", because everyone will use the latest one (previous are not supported and can have security bugs).

Anyway, I don't think removing version number brings any real gain. It's just not important.

m_gol

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
What's the issue? There isn't going to be a problem with "which version you use", because everyone will use the latest one (previous are not supported and can have security bugs).

Anyway, I don't think removing version number brings any real gain. It's just not important.

Status
Not open for further replies.