Mozilla Rechallenges Google in Browser Speed Race

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I'm currently using Firefox Aurora, and it has a crashing/lock-up problem with Flash 11.3 since the two or three previous versions ago. Did they iron it out in Beta?

Nevertheless, it would be nice of Mozilla to iron out any bugs. That includes you, Adobe.

G

If only Mozilla would move into the 21st century with a 64 bit Windows version...

Kodiack

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
@A Bad Day: Funny, I use both Chrome and the Firefox Nightly build and I'm stable as a rock. Also, you're also on a non-release build. What do you think that's for, if not ironing out bugs?

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I'd mainly like to see them work on making the UI faster - Firefox's benchmarks don't mean shit when the browser constantly freezes on my E350 machine. (Chrome is completely smooth, in comparison.)

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Kodiack[/nom]@A Bad Day: Funny, I use both Chrome and the Firefox Nightly build and I'm stable as a rock. Also, you're also on a non-release build. What do you think that's for, if not ironing out bugs?[/citation]
I become somewhat worried if a problem also existed in version 15 and maybe even 14.

And for your information, I gave Beta a try. The problem also exists.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
The speed diff is not really an issue anymore. Both browser are fast enough. What I really need is the browser that push more usage on hardware GPU acceleration. DX10/11 GPU are pretty common these days, get someone to put serious effort in GPGPU computing. At least those Atom/E-350 user get better browsing experience.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
instead of making it faster, they should work on making it more stable. i use firefox most of the time, and every time I load a page my entire browser locks up for like 2 seconds...

cornandbeans

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
[citation][nom]mmstick[/nom]Mozilla DOES have a 64-bit firefox. It's called waterfox. http://waterfoxproject.org/[/citation]
It is not official. Thus not made by Mozilla.

mmstick

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
[citation][nom]cornandbeans[/nom]It is not official. Thus not made by Mozilla.[/citation]
Except it is official. Mozilla formally added it as one of their own projects. It may have started out as an unofficial branch, but Mozilla owns it now. Therefore, it is being made and maintained by Mozilla.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
As a web developer I'd love to see an improvement in page layout consistency.
It is frustrating to look at a webpage, even a fairly basic one, in 3 different browsers and see it rendered differently; then having to explain the difference to the client :-(

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]As a web developer I'd love to see an improvement in page layout consistency.It is frustrating to look at a webpage, even a fairly basic one, in 3 different browsers and see it rendered differently; then having to explain the difference to the client :-([/citation]

Then, someone on the client side has the bright idea of pointing out that it's broken in IE8, IE7, and especially IE6.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]mmstick[/nom]Mozilla DOES have a 64-bit firefox. It's called waterfox. http://waterfoxproject.org/[/citation]

For some reason, it keeps giving me "Luna error" and AVG is marking it as a virus...

RogueKitsune

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Contains i686 and x86_x64 builds of firefox:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-mozilla-central-l10n/

Also with the exception of silverlight every other plug-in works fine out of the box for the 64-bit version. Silverlight requires a little more effort to get it working properly.

G

"Waterfox is in no way associated with the Mozilla Foundation or any of their products."

If you pull down the bar on the top of that page you will see this message.

zeratul600

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
javascript race? i like a flash race, because my pc can barely hande current flash games that looks worst than old time animations with previous version of flash! i dont know who is making un optimized code mozilla or adobe!

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
A fully optimised version of Firefox, optimised for SSE2 processors, and cutting away all the old legacy hardware support is Palemoon.

http://www.palemoon.org
if you, like me, dont like the UI changes mozilla have done, then Palemoon is for you. It retains the FF4 UI, with full customisations possible. The browser is built with full profile guided optimisation. It also contains patches from the beta channels, that cant come in firefox due to hierqrchial and corporate policies. It has a 64 bit version too.

schnitter

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
[citation][nom]GiveMeFF64[/nom]If only Mozilla would move into the 21st century with a 64 bit Windows version...[/citation]

There is a version compiled by a overclock.net user. The problem is, apps like the Battlefield 3 launcher are 32bits only, same as flash I am guessing? So you can have Mozilla 64bits, but you wont be able to launch Battlefield 3 because the plugins are 32bits only.

In any case, I love FireFox and hope 64 bit support comes soon from both, Mozilla, and addon developers!

G

Firefox is good, it always worked great here, but one thing I don't like about it is the constant pushing of all the updates that make most of the plugins unsupported and out of function. And by the time the devs of those plugins catch up, Mozilla pushes out another update. That's the sole reason I don't use it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS