Mozilla Renews Firefox Search Royalty Deal With Google

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
allow Microsoft to pick up that share for Bing

Anyone noticed how outrageously similar Bing is to Google in terms of looks? It's practically a clone :D

Good to see that FF will live for now, 20 to 25% "market" share? IDC, Chrome can't replace Firefox for me and as long as FF doesn't try to copy Chrome's model too much (dumbed down GUI, advertised superior speed and real speed equal to FF's, stuffing the browser into every other application download), I'll just keep using it.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
@amk-aka-Phantom
c'mon...gui comment, check...stuffing browser (and serious advertising for it)...check...advertised speed = ff speed? really?

they have won TH browser grand prix quite often. even if a few hundred milliseconds don't feel like an unreasonable wait to you, the numbers do add up, overall...and while benchmark numbers can be manipulated, you can view the source data and draw your own conclusions.

that said, you like ff...keep using it. if you are trying to refute some benchmarks or cite bogus claims in advertising, bring some numbers so that we all may be better informed!

Microgoliath

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
@ amk-aka-phantom

On my PC chrome is a lot faster, not on searches but on it actually starting. FF keeps popping up stuff, tweak this, add that and once I'm actually done with all that it still takes longer to start.

Also "dumbed down GUI" what do you use as your search engine, the "dumbed down" google? or the cramped up Yahoo?

On topic: Good to hear for Mozilla, I want them to stick around :>

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]dotaloc[/nom]@amk-aka-Phantomc'mon...gui comment, check...stuffing browser (and serious advertising for it)...check...advertised speed = ff speed? really? they have won TH browser grand prix quite often. even if a few hundred milliseconds don't feel like an unreasonable wait to you, the numbers do add up, overall...and while benchmark numbers can be manipulated, you can view the source data and draw your own conclusions.that said, you like ff...keep using it. if you are trying to refute some benchmarks or cite bogus claims in advertising, bring some numbers so that we all may be better informed![/citation]

That's the only thing Chrome is good for, benchmarks. On my PC, they take the same time to start and load pages.

[citation][nom]MicroGoliath[/nom]@ amk-aka-phantomOn my PC chrome is a lot faster, not on searches but on it actually starting. FF keeps popping up stuff, tweak this, add that and once I'm actually done with all that it still takes longer to start.Also "dumbed down GUI" what do you use as your search engine, the "dumbed down" google? or the cramped up Yahoo?On topic: Good to hear for Mozilla, I want them to stick around :>[/citation]

FF doesn't bother me with anything, but Chrome does, so I waste time. Search engine is a simple tool (on the outside), thus the UI needs to be simple. Browser is NOT simple - at least I don't want it this way.

G

I do not think Bing looks much like Google. The wonderful picture backgrounds for one thing vs Google's bland white background? I mean how much different can a search page be? While I tend to check results from both Bing and Google when doing a search. I find Bing just as relevant as Google much of the time.
I think more importantly for Mozilla is this takes the revenue concern and puts it behind Mozilla. But they still have to deal with Chrome taking more users from Firefox.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Great news! I think Google search is superior to Bing the same way I think FF is superior to Chrome and IE. Keep it coming!

PS: That's A LOT of money for a search box!

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Glad to hear the deal was renewed.
Firefox has some issues lately, but it would be a shame to see them go under.
As for the Chrome browser, I'm not to happy with it.
Minimalist interface -which I kinda like-, but still wasting a boatload of pixel-estate in the top section.
But they are up to version "16". Laugh.
Guys, spend less time deciding on new version numbers and more time on making browsers compatible.
If I have a fairly basic webpage and it looks different in each browser something is not right. As a web designer I would rather have consistent rendering results than some new gizmo effect and yet another new version number.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I think Google and Microsoft both perceive each other as the main enemy, and FF is just a weakling that can be consumed whenever they want to get around to it.

FF is basically a rotting corpse. No need to kill it, it's decaying by itself. They have no search engine, they have no OS, they have no platform of any kind. They are dependent on their greatest competitors. Their competitors know they are weaklings, and can be pillaged whenever it's advantageous. They exist only by the grace of Google and Microsoft being so competitive. Neither wants to cause so much harm that FF goes into the other's camp.

Google probably offered FF a good deal, because if they didn't, Microsoft has some deep pockets to offer a good deal. Without Microsoft, Google would have offered them scraps and told them to like it. It's also why Microsoft remains on good terms with Mozilla. They aren't a real threat.

Mozilla needs their own platform, or they're situation will remain tenuous and unpredictable. Depending upon your adversaries to keep you alive only works because they each have bigger enemies (each other), but it's too delicate a situation to work forever.

They better wise up.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

... and that's part of why I like them. They're a BROWSER. No "integration", no nonsense, plain and simple.

"They have no search engine and no OS": well, anybody can have a search engine and data mine personal data (what Google does, and what Microsoft does); as for the OS, the Mozilla Foundation has started the "Boot to Gecko" project - which is, in short, Firefox on top of a Linux kernel (actually, Android's version of a Linux kernel, and some userspace utilities) in that aim.

I'll keep using Firefox, as it allows me to browse without selling my soul to a megacorp.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]mitch074[/nom]"They have no search engine and no OS": well, anybody can have a search engine and data mine personal data (what Google does, and what Microsoft does); as for the OS, the Mozilla Foundation has started the "Boot to Gecko" project - which is, in short, Firefox on top of a Linux kernel (actually, Android's version of a Linux kernel, and some userspace utilities) in that aim.I'll keep using Firefox, as it allows me to browse without selling my soul to a megacorp.[/citation]

Actually, a search engine is a lot of work, especially a good one. It's a big project.

You're kind of missing the point though. It's not about you, as a user. It's about Mozilla. How would you feel if your source of revenue was coming from one source, and it's an aggressive competitor? Mozilla doesn't generate much money except through Google. That's scary right? Now, let's say you don't have to use them, but can use another company, and that company also happens to be a competitor. Hmmmm, also scary.

Their source of revenue is from companies competing aggressively with them. You don't see any problems with that?

axtronic

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
I'm very glad to see google staying cooperative with firefox and not swinging their weight around to get their way. The competition between the big three browsers (IE, Chrome, Firefox) has done the browser world a lot of good in the past few years

G

al gone now. NO google search on ff. Bah. Crome keeps popping up stuff so I've shelved it. Forced into IE for a while......

Status
Not open for further replies.