Mozilla Scraps Firefox Metro Over Flat Adoption Rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
How is it not possible to have a traditional Windows program not feed a Metro app? I'd think that all you'd need is a Metro portal into the Desktop app. What am I missing here?

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
most people using metro apps are not going to download another browser to surf the web... Firefox in general is not in the same place it was back in the day. Chrome browser has taken care of the marketshare that Firefox once had....

HombreGranJefe

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
I would've used it if I knew it ******* existed. Thanks Firefox. You ****** this up, not us or MS. I hope someone provides a better browser solution than IE or MS ads an ad-blocker to it. Then I'd be happy.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
I couldn't care less about metro especially for web browsing but the fact is firefox/aurora are nowhere as touch-friendly as IE/Google.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Didn't even know there was a version of Firefox for Metro.... Maybe the marketing team at Mozilla should learn to do their jobs properly....If you go to the settings menu in Chrome and select "Relaunch Chrome in Windows 8 mode" you essentially get ChromeOS.....running in Windows.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I have Windows 8.1, and Metro is useless. You can't really use it, it's horrible. It's causing the collapse of Microsoft, even though the OS is better than Windows 7 except for the ridiculous Metro nonsense. Basically, the way you use 8.1 is to make it act like Metro doesn't exist. Touch screens are pretty lame. It's slower than a mouse, and you get the screen dirty. Leave it for tablets. For real machines, forget it. Firefox made the right choice. Metro is dying, not growing. The market has decided. Firefox just went along with that decision.

D

Deleted member 1353997

Weird... last I heard, they're still working on Firefox OS. The low adoption rate can't be their true reason for dropping this.

USAFRet

Titan

Tone down the language, please.

marclee37

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
i have no idea what is firefox metro.i would hope firefox to amend itself to have better support on win8. when on touch screen, the IE can easily zoom in zoom out with fingers, firefox can't do it yet. so as many other open source software. touch is the new and must-go trend, it is much more intuitive in many cases, especially on sub 11" screen.in the other article- it said the default image viewer on win8 has its shortcoming, but its biggest advantage is its easy zooming capabilities. depends on situation i would choose the right software to use.

CodeMatias

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014
How is it not possible to have a traditional Windows program not feed a Metro app? I'd think that all you'd need is a Metro portal into the Desktop app. What am I missing here?
You're not missing anything, that's exactly what is going on. The metrofox is just a metro based front end that works ONLY in Windows 8 (not RT). The main reason nobody bothered with metrofox is that you could only get it with the alpha builds and always had to deal with the garbage that came along with that.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Metro is what is going to bring MS to it's knees. The only people that can't see this are the people that think MS still has the answers and these same people refuse to believe the Linux and Open Source software (which still brings in money to dev houses) is the future. Times change, you can die with the past and grow with the demands of the future. "Old Timers" still reading their AS400 / IBM Operation Manual won't ever agree... nor will the programmer dependant on .NET's IDE to walk them through their coding

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Smart move Mozilla. Windows 8 with Metro is the biggest fail from Microsoft since Vista. People hate those stupid tiles in desktop AND in a phone (that is why WP is a failure). I'm keeping my W7 until I get a decent DESKTOP OS update I can use efficiently with a mouse and a keyboard for WORK and gaming.

eza

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
"In the end, Mozilla feels that to ship a largely untested (and therefore buggy) product requiring a ton of follow up work would be to invest in a platform that users show little sign of adopting."Were Mozilla referring to Windows 8 here? Ho ho.;-)

D

Deleted member 1353997

Windows 8 alone has a wider adoption than all versions of Linux and OSX together.
Considering Windows is the only desktop platform without a native 64 bit version (aside from Nightly builds), we can safely assume they were not talking about 8 as a whole; more like Modern UI.

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Having Windows 8 support tablet apps is a neat feature, if the Metro apps worked inside of a window without taking the entire vertical space of the screen. Microsoft should have bought ModernMix if their programmers had trouble making windows work. There should have been 2 start buttons with the options to remove either. The Calendar and Weather widgets should have been built-in with options to remove. The simple looking Metro Tablet apps looks childish compared to the full blown applications. Didn't like the simple tile look of Office 2013 and that without linking a Microsoft account, you lost the dictionary and synonyms functions. If I wanted a tablet look and feel then I would buy a tablet. On a desktop or laptop, I need mouse and keyboard focused operating systems. I have many Intel quadcore computers and laptops that are not i3,i5,i7 variant and does not support Hyper-V. I need Virtual PC 2007 or Windows 7 Virtual PC compatibility. If Metro dies on the desktop, I will not shed a tear.

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Having Windows 8 support tablet apps is a neat feature, if the Metro apps worked inside of a window without taking the entire vertical space of the screen. Microsoft should have bought ModernMix if their programmers had trouble making windows work. There should have been 2 start buttons with the options to remove either. The Calendar and Weather widgets should have been built-in with options to remove. The simple looking Metro Tablet apps looks childish compared to the full blown applications. Didn't like the simple tile look of Office 2013 and that without linking a Microsoft account, you lost the dictionary and synonyms functions. If I wanted a tablet look and feel then I would buy a tablet. On a desktop or laptop, I need mouse and keyboard focused operating systems. I have many Intel quadcore computers and laptops that are not i3,i5,i7 variant and does not support Hyper-V. I need Virtual PC 2007 or Windows 7 Virtual PC compatibility. If Metro dies on the desktop, I will not shed a tear.
Windows 8 and uncle fester are both failures and bill gates is a big failure for putting this smuck to ruin windows 8.Lets hope they learn from this failure and fix windows media player on windows 9. I can't stand how it takes up so much room now and does not have the same functionality as the windows 7 player.It seems like M$ is hell bent on pushing down its stock price.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012

They could have kept this moving but instead they thought it was a waste of time because not many people are using the start screen, they're using the start menu alternatives. I avoid W8 at all costs and even i knew Firefox was doing a modern app of their browser. But what does it matter anyway, the metro/start screen isn't that successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.