Mozilla Wants FBI To Disclose Possible Firefox Vulnerability

Status
Not open for further replies.

rv3392

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
I read the title as "FBI asks Mozilla to disclose possible Firefox vulnerability" and was like, "Damn FBI always looking for thos vulnerabilities"

The real question is: Why is the FBI withholding the information? You would think they would turn it over without a court order...Guess I was naive in thinking it was just the NSA and CIA spying on the citizens.

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
The real question is: Why is the FBI withholding the information? You would think they would turn it over without a court order...Guess I was naive in thinking it was just the NSA and CIA spying on the citizens.
I know you're being sarcastic, but you reminded me of this quote from J. Edgar Hoover, the first director of the FBI:
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/J._Edgar_Hoover
"We are a fact-gathering organization only. We don’t clear anybody. We don’t condemn anybody." - Look magazine (14 June 1956).

mavikt

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
The problem as I see it is that they've lost track of who they're working for; a thing commonly affecting politicians.. It's the tax payers salaries that gets shaved of in order keep these institutions running => They should be working for the common good!

People working with these things and not complying should be sent to the breaking wheel (swe. 'Stegling', abandoned ca. 1841).
I'm sorry I feel this way, but our public representatives somewhow doesn't seem to be working for the public good.

mavikt

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Wikipedia has great stuff on the matter:
"Here the executioner gave him the first stroke. His cries were terrible. "O Jesus! Jesus, have mercy upon me!" This cruel scene was much lengthened out, and of the utmost horror; for as the headsman had no skill in his business, the wretch under his hands received upwards of fifteen several blows, with each of which were intermixed the most piteous groans, and invocations of the name of God. At length, after two strokes given on the breast, his strength and voice failed him. In a faltering dying tone, he was just heard to say, "Cut off my head!" and the executioner still lingering, he himself placed his head on the scaffold: in a word, after four strokes with an hatchet, the head was separated from the body, and the body quartered. Such was the end of the renowned Patkul: and may God have mercy on his soul!"

ifIwasarichman

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
Typical of institutions like the FBI to blatantly try to obstruct and/or ignore the legal system, as well as company's and people's legal rights.
I feel the same as Nuckles_56 in understanding why Mozilla is upset and hoping they win big time.
There is nothing wrong with looking and finding vulnerabilities, but the first thing they should do id communicate with the company involved to at least alert them (so they can at least find a fix). If they have a verifiable valid reason to continue to use this access, it can be arranged between the company , the court and the enforcement institution.
If they are just using this vulnerability to snoop for the sake of snooping, it should be stopped immediately.

gangrel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2012
The FBI doesn't believe in following the law when they think it would interfere with their efforts.

Heck, I would be VERY dubious about the admissibility of any information they might obtain through this hack.

Status
Not open for further replies.