Question MP34 ? Components changed?

Jun 15, 2022
So I recently bought the 2tb MP34 but my Read and write speeds are quite a bit slower than the up to advertised speed. I get 3200MBps read and 2300MBps write and the advertised up to speed is 3500MBps Read and 2900MBps write. That seems like a pretty big disparity. Did the components get swapped?

Listed manufacturer specs are the highest rated speeds they see in testing, not a guarantee for consumer results.

Are you actually doing anything that makes use of that 3200/2300MBps? If not, the synthetic benchmarks you are running are just numbers on a screen.

Jun 15, 2022
Listed manufacturer specs are the highest rated speeds they see in testing, not a guarantee for consumer results.

Are you actually doing anything that makes use of that 3200/2300MBps? If not, the synthetic benchmarks you are running are just numbers on a screen.
no it's just my game drive but I'm worried they put in cheaper components like QLC or something

no it's just my game drive but I'm worried they put in cheaper components like QLC or something
If you are concerned about it then return it and buy a new one, or from a different brand.
Its highly unlikely they would be swapping components/drives on you, as they would risk massive lawsuits to save a few bucks.
Even on the off chance (again, they didnt) they swapped components on you, that performance is still within expected levels, and much higher than any speeds you will get in day to day use as a game drive.

Jun 15, 2022
If you are concerned about it then return it and buy a new one, or from a different brand.
Its highly unlikely they would be swapping components/drives on you, as they would risk massive lawsuits to save a few bucks.
Even on the off chance (again, they didnt) they swapped components on you, that performance is still within expected levels, and much higher than any speeds you will get in day to day use as a game drive.
don't SSD manufacturers swap components all the time without getting in any legal trouble?

don't SSD manufacturers swap components all the time without getting in any legal trouble?
Not sure where you found that info, but no.
They might release different models without specifically detailing the components, but they dont just sell you something else.

All else fails, look at the SSD itself and ID the chips on board, then youll know 100% for certain whats on your M.2
(I dont know the chip IDs, so youd have to research them).

Jun 15, 2022
Not sure where you found that info, but no.
They might release different models without specifically detailing the components, but they dont just sell you something else.

All else fails, look at the SSD itself and ID the chips on board, then youll know 100% for certain whats on your M.2
(I dont know the chip IDs, so youd have to research them).
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/adata-and-other-ssd-makers-swapping-parts oh wow, I found out that they did change the controller at the very least in that article "For instance, Team Group changed out the MP34’s NVMe SSD controller from Phison’s E12 SSD controller to Silicon Motion’s SM2262EN " that's a good idea, i'll check out the components on it but as long as it works i'm just gonna keep it, just worried they swapped more than the controller

Even if you got a "swapped" model, they are still supposed to reach their advertised speeds, which in your case is close enough they could just consider it acceptable variation, among other things (motherboard, CPU, etc).
If there was some actual performance degradation then I would be more concerned, but nothing is out of the ordinary with your tests.

Jun 15, 2022
Even if you got a "swapped" model, they are still supposed to reach their advertised speeds, which in your case is close enough they could just consider it acceptable variation, among other things (motherboard, CPU, etc).
If there was some actual performance degradation then I would be more concerned, but nothing is out of the ordinary with your tests.
I don't think that's acceptable variation. 100MBps would be like acceptable like with my other drives hell sometimes I get better results than the max advertised (samsung, crucial, sk hynix, WD) but not 300-600MBps, that seems to be way to much of an "acceptable variation". also this is just the read/writes, everything else could be much worse also. Either way this shouldn't be acceptable and I'll just most likely return the item because again these things aren't cheap but thank you for your time

The product description would seem to be consistent with the observed speeds.

https://www.teamgroupinc.com/en/product/mp34

The MP34 M.2 PCIe SSD uses PCIe Gen3 x4 high speed transfer interface. With the support of PCIe bus bandwidth, it can offer a transfer speed of at least 2000MB/s, or up to over 3000MB/s ...
The MP34 is also equipped with DRAM Cache that delivers superior performance in continuous read/write speed of 3,000/2,600MB/s
f3a2ce0fcc118a816c39ba85d02308e6.jpg