Question MPG Gaming Edge Wifi thinks its a MPG x570 Gaming Plus ?

Nov 7, 2022
A friend of mine recently gifted me his MPG Gaming Edge Wifi Motherboard and a few other components as he is heading off to college and no longer needs them. I have a 5700x and this specific motherboard requires a bios upgrade to be compatible. So I load up a USB flash drive with the latest bios from the MSI website, reboot, and enter M-Flash. Where to my surprise the mother board fails to recognize the bios update. Hmm strange. I exit M-Flash and head back to the main bios screen where MPG 570X Gaming Plus is listed. I'm not even sure where to start. How could this have happened? Is the board defective? I can get it running with an older CPU. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You did unzip the contents of the BIOS file to your flash drive, right? You didn't attempt to flash it using a still-zipped file did you?

If not, then it sounds like somebody previously flashed it with the wrong BIOS although there certainly might be other possibilities involved. Does it actually SAY MPG Gaming Edge WiFi on the motherboard itself? These boards are VERY similar, nearly identical, in design, with only a few differences, and I'd be surprised if they don't share almost the same BIOS firmware with maybe a couple of minor differences.

And both of them have BIOS flashback so it's possible, I suppose, that one of them was flashed with the BIOS for the other using Flashback which might not have the same checks as trying to use M-flash. I'd load the BIOS on your flash drive for the Gaming Edge WiFi, unzipped, and try to update it via BIOS flashback. If that doesn't work, then I'd try the latest stable version for the X570 Gaming Plus and try BIOS flashback.

If neither of those methods work, I'd contact MSI. I guess it's also possible that somehow that board was built using a BIOS ROM for the other board by accident. To be honest, this is the first case of the board reporting incorrectly in the BIOS that I've ever seen.

Nov 7, 2022
https://www.yogile.com/zk5pjghb74o/21t/share/?vsc=539f2dcdb
Here is a link to some pictures I took just to confirm the issue. I have tried to flash the Gaming Edge WiFi bios, but with no luck. I press the button, get a few flashes, and then a solid red light. Is there anyway to force flash a bios? I understand there would likely be risks with that, but the motherboard isn't a necessity to me, and I want to try to do whatever I can.

So, curiouser and curiouser. LOL.

Looking at the image of your board, it MUST be a Gaming Edge WiFi because it is identifiable, not because of the name, but because of a few things on the board that are not on the Gaming Plus board, which I can identify by the photo. However, the BIOS version which is installed is ONLY available to the Gaming plus, not the Gaming Edge WiFi. So either somebody has flashed the wrong BIOS previously or has swapped out the BIOS ROM at some point, are the only two things I can even guess might be why this is the way it is.

I would LIKE to say use the BIOS for the Gaming Plus since clearly that is what is installed currently, but in fact there ARE some differences between these boards and I feel like with the BIOS for the Gaming Plus there are going to either be problems or lack of support for some features on the Gaming Edge WiFi due to not having support for those features or onboard components in the Gaming Plus firmware.

I REALLY think you should contact MSI on this but I know they are going to want to have some kind of proof of purchase in order to help you in any way. Is there any chance you can get that from your friend who gave you the board?

If not, I would try flashing the latest BIOS for the Gaming Plus, since it already has a Gaming Plus BIOS version installed, and if it won't flash using M-flash then try using the Flashback USB port method on the back of the motherboard. That method pretty much bypasses all standard flash routines and deals directly with the BIOS ROM itself, even without a CPU installed, which is I think at least a possibility of what might have already happened. IDK really since you tried a BIOS that it thinks isn't right for the board and it wouldn't flash, so I'm not sure how they could have flashed the wrong one previously but clearly SOMETHING happened in order for things to get the way they are now and the only other thing I can think of is somebody switched BIOS ROMs.

Nov 7, 2022
I have made progress! On the MSI forms I found this tool:https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?...ell-flash-tool-v1-19-for-msi-boards-✔.343010/
After doing what the post says, I have been able to install the latest Gaming Edge BIOS! Whoop Whoop! However, I still cannot get it to post with the 5600X. After installing the CPU and pressing the power button, I get about a half-second of lights and fans spinning followed by nothing :(. After removing the 5600X and installing the Ryzen 3 1200, I get a boot right to Windows. full access to the bios and all. I know this is now a different issue, but I have to imagine it is related to the bios.

So is it a 5600x or a 5700x, and where did you get THAT from? New, used? What retailer?

So since that tool worked to flash the latest BIOS, for the board that it's not, did you at least try to flash it with a BIOS version for the board that it's SUPPOSED to be, with that tool? Since it still isn't recognizing the CPU it might be worth trying that.

Nov 7, 2022
Sorry, it is a 5600x from Amazon brand new. And I was able to flash The motherboard with the Gaming Edge WiFi BIOS. So I think it's the correct BIOS now.

Last edited:
Woo Hoo. Is the CPU being recognized now though? You might try installing it all on the bench or whatever with CPU and memory, etc., all installed, and do a hard reset of the BIOS if it's not trying to POST and see if that helps.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes while the CMOS battery is out of the motherboard, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 15-30 seconds, in order to deplete any residual charge that might be present in the CMOS circuit. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, IF the problem is related to a lack of video signal, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

Trying a different monitor as well, if possible, is also a good idea if there is a lack of display. It happens.

Nov 7, 2022
I gave it a few tries. Still nothing :(. I'm not sure what else to try. The motherboard reads the correct BIOS. boots properly into Windows with the older CPU. Yet I still cannot get anything from the 5600x. Sooo strange. I guess it could just be a bad CPU but I feel like that's rare coming from Amazon. Any other ideas? I have a meeting today but after that I am going to try to swap in the ram on my main PC and see if it makes a difference. I still don't get more than a half second of fans spinning.

TRENDING THREADS