Question MPG Z490M GAMING EDGE WIFI does not boot with second DDR4 3200 RAM module installed ?

Nov 29, 2020
I have the following situation:

I have installed the DDR4 modules according to the installation instructions (DIMMA-2 and DIMMB2), but the equipment does not start me and the EZ Debug indicator shows that it does not advance from the DRAM evaluation, leaving an infinite cycle between CPU and DRAM. However, when removing the module installed in DIMMB2, the computer manages to start.

Additionally, I have ruled out any failure of the DDR4 modules, since I have mounted both on the DIMMA slot 1 and 2 (one at a time) and they work correctly.

actions done:
  • I have already reset the CMOS.
  • already remove the battery.
  • already remove the CPU and reassemble it.
I have run out of options, what could be happening?

I am attentive to your answer.

Configuration: (without OC)

MPG Z490M GAMING EDGE WIFI
INTEL i5 10400 2.9 Ghz
CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX - DDR4 32GB (2x16) 3200 Mhz
SAMSUNG EVO860 500GB
GAMEMAX 850 W

Dec 28, 2020
I have the following situation:

I have installed the DDR4 modules according to the installation instructions (DIMMA-2 and DIMMB2), but the equipment does not start me and the EZ Debug indicator shows that it does not advance from the DRAM evaluation, leaving an infinite cycle between CPU and DRAM. However, when removing the module installed in DIMMB2, the computer manages to start.

Additionally, I have ruled out any failure of the DDR4 modules, since I have mounted both on the DIMMA slot 1 and 2 (one at a time) and they work correctly.

I am experiencing a similar issue:
I installed 4 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 Mhz
The PC will only Boot in a non-optimal config on B1 and B2 (the last modules on the right)
Both 2x8GB sets work in the non-optimal config so I believe the RAM is OK
I have seen other posts and I am leaning towards the following:
1.) Bios Update
2.) Replace RAM with ones listed on the MSI Compatibility list
3.) Motherboard DIMM Slots Faulty??

Configuration: (without OC)
MPG Z490M GAMING EDGE WIFI
INTEL i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz
CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX - DDR4 32GB (4x8) 3600 Mhz
SAMSUNG 970 pro 512GB
CORSAIR RM750 W

I will post on this thread when I get a result. Thanks. Any other recommendations or input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
ALTF4 Computers

Dec 28, 2020
UPDATE:
Upgraded to latest BIOS - No Change.
Found the specific modules I have are not on the "MSI Compatability List". (Which also may explain why the memory is reverting down to 2133Mhz).
Installed some HYPERX HX426C16FB3K2/16. Which is ON THE APPROVED LIST. - Unable to book in "optimal modes" HOWEVER still able to boot in Non- Optimal mode and getting 2666Mhz which is the rated speed for these chips.
My Next step is to invest in some 3200 or 3600Mhz RAM which is on the Approved List.
Link to MSI Memory Approved list here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-Z490M-GAMING-EDGE-WIFI#support-mem-31

Feb 3, 2021
Thx for posting your experiences - i had similar problems as the board not starting and the status LED staying on the CPU Failure position. Right now it booted again, but resetted my XMP Priofile settings. Now it's booting fine. But with stock settings. Still need to test, wether enabling XMP triggers the "no boot" failure. I would be very interested wether your steps did solve your boot problems as i think i might have a similar problem - Also Got An LPX Vengeance Kit with 32GB (2 Sticks 3200Mhz)

Mar 27, 2021
Hey did anyone find a resolution to this? Having the EXACT same problem on my new build with a z490m?

I know for sure the sticks of RAM are good.
Only boots with 1 stick of ram in.
Updated BIOS as well.

Last edited: