MS-6511 motherboard advice please.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I'm trying to install an MS-6511 mobo in a non original case. The front
panel header (JFP1) pin-out can be found here...
http://tinyurl.com/9xk9a ... toward the bottom of the page.

The case's front panel has 4 pairs of wires:

1. PWR SW
2. PWR LED
3. RESET
4. HDD LED

The plug attached to pair #2, spans 3 adjacent pins with the centre pin
making no connection. The plugs on the other pairs are standard 2 pin.

I'm hoping that someone might be able to tell me how to match the front
panel's wiring to the header.

Thanks.
--
t@k
(Invalid return address. Please reply to newsgroup).

I worked on a few of these a while back so some of this info came from the
internet and some from memory ... please try at your own risk (although I
think the risk is low).

HDD LED: HD Blink GRN for HDD + and HD Blink YEL for HDD - (if it doesn't
make the LED work then reverse 'em)

PWR SW: FP BUT IN and the next one (GND). If you really want to be sure,
check continuity between FP BUT IN and pin 14 on your ATX connector (green
wire - near the tab). It should be a dead short. If it isn't, find the pin
on your header that is shorted to ATX Pin-14. That pin and GND will
function as a PWR SW. Here's a pinout of the ATX connector:

http://www.hardwarebook.net/connector/power/atxpower.html

RESET: FP Reset and the next one (GND)

PWR LED: HD PWR and HDA (if it doesn't make the LED work then reverse 'em).

"t@k" <_@_._> wrote in message
> I'm trying to install an MS-6511 mobo in a non original case. The front
> panel header (JFP1) pin-out can be found here...
> http://tinyurl.com/9xk9a ... toward the bottom of the page.
>
> The case's front panel has 4 pairs of wires:
>
> 1. PWR SW
> 2. PWR LED
> 3. RESET
> 4. HDD LED
>
> The plug attached to pair #2, spans 3 adjacent pins with the centre pin
> making no connection. The plugs on the other pairs are standard 2 pin.
>
> I'm hoping that someone might be able to tell me how to match the front
> panel's wiring to the header.
>
> Thanks.
> --
> t@k
> (Invalid return address. Please reply to newsgroup).

Please disregard the advice on checking continuity between ATX pin-14 and
the header to find the PWR SW. While I've done this on some older
motherboards, after doing some more research this is not accurate in
general.

"mdp" <markdpend@spambegone.aol.com> wrote in message
>I worked on a few of these a while back so some of this info came from the
>internet and some from memory ... please try at your own risk (although I
> think the risk is low).
>
> HDD LED: HD Blink GRN for HDD + and HD Blink YEL for HDD - (if it doesn't
> make the LED work then reverse 'em)
>
> PWR SW: FP BUT IN and the next one (GND). If you really want to be sure,
> check continuity between FP BUT IN and pin 14 on your ATX connector (green
> wire - near the tab). It should be a dead short. If it isn't, find the
> pin on your header that is shorted to ATX Pin-14. That pin and GND will
> function as a PWR SW. Here's a pinout of the ATX connector:
>
> http://www.hardwarebook.net/connector/power/atxpower.html
>
> RESET: FP Reset and the next one (GND)
>
> PWR LED: HD PWR and HDA (if it doesn't make the LED work then reverse
> 'em).
>

> "t@k" <_@_._> wrote in message
>> I'm trying to install an MS-6511 mobo in a non original case. The front
>> panel header (JFP1) pin-out can be found here...
>> http://tinyurl.com/9xk9a ... toward the bottom of the page.
>>
>> The case's front panel has 4 pairs of wires:
>>
>> 1. PWR SW
>> 2. PWR LED
>> 3. RESET
>> 4. HDD LED
>>
>> The plug attached to pair #2, spans 3 adjacent pins with the centre pin
>> making no connection. The plugs on the other pairs are standard 2 pin.
>>
>> I'm hoping that someone might be able to tell me how to match the front
>> panel's wiring to the header.
>>
>> Thanks.
>> --
>> t@k
>> (Invalid return address. Please reply to newsgroup).

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Thanks for your reply.

Would you know if it's normal for this board's cpu fan to run when the
psu is live, even with the f/p header disconnected (the case's psu has
no mains isolator)?