MS Antispyware detects Catalyst as trojan

Discordia

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002

I reinstalled XP Pro, put in the ATI drivers, installed Microsoft
AntiSpyware Beta1, and run it. It detected many of the Catalyst
drivers (the most recent) as "Unclassified.Trojan.93". I let the
program remove the drivers, now, of course, Catalyst doesn't work.
Anyone else come across this?

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

Huh? I'd trust the Cats before I'd trust an MS beta. The cats may be a lot
of things but they definitely are not Trojans. You seem rather gullible.

DaveL

"Discordia" <goaway@you.net> wrote in message
>I reinstalled XP Pro, put in the ATI drivers, installed Microsoft
> AntiSpyware Beta1, and run it. It detected many of the Catalyst
> drivers (the most recent) as "Unclassified.Trojan.93". I let the
> program remove the drivers, now, of course, Catalyst doesn't work.
> Anyone else come across this?

i cant believe you actually let this thing delete your video driver files

i can just see you sitting there pannicking DELETE DELETE DELETE!!

"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Huh? I'd trust the Cats before I'd trust an MS beta.

Quite possibly but I do know that over the past few months since using this
'beta' software Spybot hasn't found a single nasty.
And it certainly didn't detect files from my recent download of 3.7 as
trojans!

Chris

Chris Curtis wrote:

> Quite possibly but I do know that over the past few months since using this
> 'beta' software Spybot hasn't found a single nasty.

Really? My experience is quite different. Microsoft AntiSpyware rarely
finds anything. Borderline useless, but I run it as long as it is free.
Spybot always finds a few things that Microsoft's knew nothing about,
and Ad-Aware SE Plus is the best and always finds something the other
two miss.

yeah it finds cookies!

oh noes

not cookies!

DaveL wrote:

> Huh? I'd trust the Cats before I'd trust an MS beta. The cats may
> be a lot of things but they definitely are not Trojans. You seem
> rather gullible.

It all depends on where he downloaded the Catalyst drivers. If he downloaded
from any other site than ATi's, it might very well be that he downloaded
infected drivers. In this case, he'd better go to www.ati.com to get the
drivers from them.

=- Brian Dickens, the Netherlands

"Smart Feet" <smartfeet@yourshoes.com> wrote in message
> Chris Curtis wrote:
>

>> Quite possibly but I do know that over the past few months since using
>> this 'beta' software Spybot hasn't found a single nasty.
>

> Really? My experience is quite different. Microsoft AntiSpyware rarely
> finds anything. Borderline useless, but I run it as long as it is free.
> Spybot always finds a few things that Microsoft's knew nothing about, and
> Ad-Aware SE Plus is the best and always finds something the other two
> miss.

That used to be my experience when it was first launched but I run the beta
program together with Spybot on 2 machines at home and on 17 workstations at
work and for the last few weeks Spybot has found nothing. Adaware usually
finds something but then it is looking for different things.
Perhaps it depends on where you visit :)

Chris

Discordia

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 23:25:08 +0200, "Brian Dickens"
<newsgroups@(remove-this)briandickens.demon.nl> wrote:

That's where I did get them.

>DaveL wrote:
>
>> Huh? I'd trust the Cats before I'd trust an MS beta. The cats may
>> be a lot of things but they definitely are not Trojans. You seem
>> rather gullible.
>
>It all depends on where he downloaded the Catalyst drivers. If he downloaded
>from any other site than ATi's, it might very well be that he downloaded
>infected drivers. In this case, he'd better go to www.ati.com to get the
>drivers from them.
>
> =- Brian Dickens, the Netherlands

Discordia

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 19:44:45 -0400, "Timothy J. Walters"
<tjw@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hardly panicking. I know I can reinstall them...I'm trying to
determine if this is the source of the "trojan". FYI, like I've said,
this was on a freshly installed system, the only thing I had
downloaded was the MS AntiSpyware and the ATI drivers.

>i cant believe you actually let this thing delete your video driver files
>
>i can just see you sitting there pannicking DELETE DELETE DELETE!!
>

>"Discordia" <goaway@you.net> wrote in message
>>I reinstalled XP Pro, put in the ATI drivers, installed Microsoft
>> AntiSpyware Beta1, and run it. It detected many of the Catalyst
>> drivers (the most recent) as "Unclassified.Trojan.93". I let the
>> program remove the drivers, now, of course, Catalyst doesn't work.
>> Anyone else come across this?

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Discordia" <goaway@you.net> wrote in message
>I reinstalled XP Pro, put in the ATI drivers, installed Microsoft
> AntiSpyware Beta1, and run it. It detected many of the Catalyst
> drivers (the most recent) as "Unclassified.Trojan.93". I let the
> program remove the drivers, now, of course, Catalyst doesn't work.
> Anyone else come across this?

I downloaded and installed the original beta when it came out. I was
initially impressed...it picked up things that Spybot and Adaware did not.
But, over the months, MS continually updated it's hitlist and detection
rules.....and what's happened is that many of the spyware vendors and ad
companies have petitioned MS to remove their particular "features" from the
detection rules and list. So, MSAntispy detects less and less. In fact, for
a two week period before I uninstalled it, it ran daily scans and found
nothing while Adaware and Spybot were finding things. I now use PestPatrol.
It picked up 16 items that the others missed. PestPatrol is my main
antispyware software now.

Discordia

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 04:11:10 GMT, "Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net>
wrote:

An update. MS AntiSpyware's new definitions are detecting Catalyst
drivers as a trojan. This is being reported in the MS newsgroups. My
guess is that the Catalyst drivers actually do act as a type of tojan,
but designed that way by ATI. I'm just going to ignore the message
unless I hear otherwise.

>"Discordia" <goaway@you.net> wrote in message
>>I reinstalled XP Pro, put in the ATI drivers, installed Microsoft
>> AntiSpyware Beta1, and run it. It detected many of the Catalyst
>> drivers (the most recent) as "Unclassified.Trojan.93". I let the
>> program remove the drivers, now, of course, Catalyst doesn't work.
>> Anyone else come across this?
>
>I downloaded and installed the original beta when it came out. I was
>initially impressed...it picked up things that Spybot and Adaware did not.
>But, over the months, MS continually updated it's hitlist and detection
>rules.....and what's happened is that many of the spyware vendors and ad
>companies have petitioned MS to remove their particular "features" from the
>detection rules and list. So, MSAntispy detects less and less. In fact, for
>a two week period before I uninstalled it, it ran daily scans and found
>nothing while Adaware and Spybot were finding things. I now use PestPatrol.
>It picked up 16 items that the others missed. PestPatrol is my main
>antispyware software now.

Discordia

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 02:57:18 GMT, Discordia <goaway@you.net> wrote:

BTW, I suggest that anyone who doubts the validity of what I'm
reporting to make sure their MS AntiSpyware has the latest definition
(Aug 6) and run it on their Cat 5.7 system and see what they come up
with.

> On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 04:11:10 GMT, "Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net>
> wrote:
>
> An update. MS AntiSpyware's new definitions are detecting Catalyst
> drivers as a trojan. This is being reported in the MS newsgroups. My
> guess is that the Catalyst drivers actually do act as a type of tojan,
> but designed that way by ATI. I'm just going to ignore the message
> unless I hear otherwise.

Since the new Catalysts/CCC use MS .Net Framework it may be that the MS
anti-spyware sees them as a trojan. I would just ignore it and go on. Other
spyware programs such as SpyBot, AdAware and Spython do not detect them that
way, so I wouldn't worry.

Ed

Discordia wrote:

> I reinstalled XP Pro, put in the ATI drivers, installed Microsoft
> AntiSpyware Beta1, and run it. It detected many of the Catalyst
> drivers (the most recent) as "Unclassified.Trojan.93". I let the
> program remove the drivers, now, of course, Catalyst doesn't work.
> Anyone else come across this?

I can't comment on this specific problem, but with regard to MS anti-spyware
you might like to read the following and then decide whether you want to use
it at all: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/15/microsoft_claria/

--

/mel/

np: silence

Discordia

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 17:48:19 +0100, "/mel/"
<pipexnews@swinehood.kill.a.spammer.today.com> wrote:

I don't think MS is very trustworthy. I lost most of my faith in that
company when its was first reported they'd be doing activation with
XP. Now that you have to do varification, I'm heading over to Apple.
I'd bet that MS has plans to do active spying on your computer with
this latest move.

>Discordia wrote:
>
>> I reinstalled XP Pro, put in the ATI drivers, installed Microsoft
>> AntiSpyware Beta1, and run it. It detected many of the Catalyst
>> drivers (the most recent) as "Unclassified.Trojan.93". I let the
>> program remove the drivers, now, of course, Catalyst doesn't work.
>> Anyone else come across this?
>
>I can't comment on this specific problem, but with regard to MS anti-spyware
>you might like to read the following and then decide whether you want to use
>it at all: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/15/microsoft_claria/

Just installed ATI Catalyst 5.7, ran MS AS with updates as of 7aug05
and the results: no known issues detected

I think youll find thats because MS Anitspyware is doing its job and
stopping spyware getting installed in the first place. As for Pest Control
that thing just seems to randomly select alerts, it finds things that MS
Antispyware, Adaware, Spybot dont se and also when I go to check the items
its warning me about they are either not there or totally innocent files,
seems to have a very relaxed approach to scanning.

"Chris Curtis" <newsgroup@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "Smart Feet" <smartfeet@yourshoes.com> wrote in message
>> Chris Curtis wrote:
>>

>>> Quite possibly but I do know that over the past few months since using
>>> this 'beta' software Spybot hasn't found a single nasty.
>>

>> Really? My experience is quite different. Microsoft AntiSpyware rarely
>> finds anything. Borderline useless, but I run it as long as it is free.
>> Spybot always finds a few things that Microsoft's knew nothing about, and
>> Ad-Aware SE Plus is the best and always finds something the other two
>> miss.
>
> That used to be my experience when it was first launched but I run the
> beta program together with Spybot on 2 machines at home and on 17
> workstations at work and for the last few weeks Spybot has found nothing.
> Adaware usually finds something but then it is looking for different
> things.
> Perhaps it depends on where you visit :)
>
> Chris

I have latest MS Antispyware (Aug 7,2005) and ati catalyst 5.7. I don't seem
to have any problem, MS never reports ATI as spyware.
I searched the GOOGLE groups for other threads on the subject but couldn't
drag up anything. Could you point me to
another thread on the MS newsgroups. This thread is the only one I can find
reporting the problem.

Michael

"Discordia" <goaway@you.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 04:11:10 GMT, "Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net>
> wrote:
>
> An update. MS AntiSpyware's new definitions are detecting Catalyst
> drivers as a trojan. This is being reported in the MS newsgroups. My
> guess is that the Catalyst drivers actually do act as a type of tojan,
> but designed that way by ATI. I'm just going to ignore the message
> unless I hear otherwise.
>

>>"Discordia" <goaway@you.net> wrote in message
>>>I reinstalled XP Pro, put in the ATI drivers, installed Microsoft
>>> AntiSpyware Beta1, and run it. It detected many of the Catalyst
>>> drivers (the most recent) as "Unclassified.Trojan.93". I let the
>>> program remove the drivers, now, of course, Catalyst doesn't work.
>>> Anyone else come across this?
>>
>>I downloaded and installed the original beta when it came out. I was
>>initially impressed...it picked up things that Spybot and Adaware did not.
>>But, over the months, MS continually updated it's hitlist and detection
>>rules.....and what's happened is that many of the spyware vendors and ad
>>companies have petitioned MS to remove their particular "features" from
>>the
>>detection rules and list. So, MSAntispy detects less and less. In fact,
>>for
>>a two week period before I uninstalled it, it ran daily scans and found
>>nothing while Adaware and Spybot were finding things. I now use
>>PestPatrol.
>>It picked up 16 items that the others missed. PestPatrol is my main
>>antispyware software now.

I have the same thing walraven !
Just to let you know you are not alone. I wil respond if i find the
solution !

Esa

Discordia wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 17:51:12 -0500, "Markeau" <please_reply@news.group>
> wrote:
>
> Do a full scan, it will come up.
>
> >Just installed ATI Catalyst 5.7, ran MS AS with updates as of 7aug05
> >and the results: no known issues detected

Discordia

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 17:51:12 -0500, "Markeau" <please_reply@news.group>

Do a full scan, it will come up.

Discordia wrote:

> On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 04:11:10 GMT, "Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net>
> wrote:
>
> An update. MS AntiSpyware's new definitions are detecting Catalyst
> drivers as a trojan. This is being reported in the MS newsgroups. My
> guess is that the Catalyst drivers actually do act as a type of tojan,
> but designed that way by ATI. I'm just going to ignore the message
> unless I hear otherwise.

Or it may be that they're just seeing some code that by random chances
matches a signature. This does happen on occasion.

>>"Discordia" <goaway@you.net> wrote in message
>>>I reinstalled XP Pro, put in the ATI drivers, installed Microsoft
>>> AntiSpyware Beta1, and run it. It detected many of the Catalyst
>>> drivers (the most recent) as "Unclassified.Trojan.93". I let the
>>> program remove the drivers, now, of course, Catalyst doesn't work.
>>> Anyone else come across this?
>>
>>I downloaded and installed the original beta when it came out. I was
>>initially impressed...it picked up things that Spybot and Adaware did not.
>>But, over the months, MS continually updated it's hitlist and detection
>>rules.....and what's happened is that many of the spyware vendors and ad
>>companies have petitioned MS to remove their particular "features" from
>>the detection rules and list. So, MSAntispy detects less and less. In
>>fact, for a two week period before I uninstalled it, it ran daily scans
>>and found nothing while Adaware and Spybot were finding things. I now use
>>PestPatrol. It picked up 16 items that the others missed. PestPatrol is my
>>main antispyware software now.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

I have been running MS antispyware for some time now with ATI Catalyst 5,7
control centre with no problems, but the last MS update is finding ATICC as
a trojan.
cheers
Bryan
"Markeau" <please_reply@news.group> wrote in message
> Just installed ATI Catalyst 5.7, ran MS AS with updates as of 7aug05
> and the results: no known issues detected

Ah, ok - I installed the Control Panel not the Control Center ...

"Bryan Wright" <wrigb@nex.net.au> wrote in message
>I have been running MS antispyware for some time now with ATI
>Catalyst 5,7
> control centre with no problems, but the last MS update is finding
> ATICC as
> a trojan.
> cheers
> Bryan
> "Markeau" <please_reply@news.group> wrote in message
>> Just installed ATI Catalyst 5.7, ran MS AS with updates as of
>> 7aug05
>> and the results: no known issues detected

ran full scan - Catalyst 5.7, updates 7 Aug, no problem reported.
Could the difference be Control Panel vs Control Center? (I am using Control
Center)

Michael