MS Co-founder Paul Allen Bitter Towards Bill Gates

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Seeing as Bill finally values the contributions Paul made to the company, whereas when he was arguing that Paul was contributing just over 1/3rd of what Bill was contributing, why don't we ask Bill if he will see right to cutting Paul in 50/50 as Paul had intended, and as is only fair for someone so valued?

That book actually looks pretty well written--I think I'd read it if I read books (but I only read articles). Paul Allen tried pretty hard not to vilify Bill while describing negatives and I didn't get the impression he's bitter about the way it worked out. I think their portions were fair at the time and they both got a lot back.

It sucks to be the guy coming in Friday after working 81 hours though! I bet he's not a multi-billionaire now.

ir33d

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Bill Gates works for the government and part of the secret society. He is the major influence behind population reduction. Good reason to leave Microsoft in the last few years to focus on furthering the Illuminati's agendas. Now their work is coming to past.

We have a LONG two years ahead of us as a species here on earth. Good luck, people. Oh, and before you go and bash my "ridiculous" comment, do the research. You can start on YouTube, then follow up with more detailed research based on what you find. You people need to wake up. They have you all running circles and never getting to the sources. Peace.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Microsoft's contribution to society is roughly the same as a bad flu.

It might be common, but it's not any good.

They've always made trash, and always used monopoly power to try to push more trash. When they can't leverage their monopoly, they fail.

Bill Gates deserves some credit for basically creating the framework for a modern software company, but he deserves discredit for being the man behind the consistently worse products ever made.

You can't compared him to Steve Jobs, who didn't succeed because IBM chose his product, because the competing product wasn't available, and the man's wife didn't like IBM. They were in the business before IBM, and after, and they came out with products people actually liked, not had to get because they were the de-facto standard due to a terrible decision by IBM.

G

I don't think he is being bitter, he's just telling it as how he recollects it. Is the word bitter even included in the dictionary of billionaires? He's also giving the readers a perspective on his relationship with Bill, and insights on Bill's personality - what value would a memoir involving the history of Microsoft if you do not include Bill Gates to it :)

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom]It sucks to be the guy coming in Friday after working 81 hours though! I bet he's not a multi-billionaire now.[/citation]
I heard that many of the early employees were paid in MS stock and they became millionaires in less than a decade...not too bad of a trade-off if you can survive 80 hours a week of intense coding.

I'm not surprised at Allen's depiction of Gates. Gates could have been the world's greatest software coder, but without financial ambition and a willingness to work 60-80 hours per week, he'd be just another nerd living in an apartment with a nice collection of unopened Kinner toys and a Miata.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Flameout[/nom]bill gates only donates because he wants good pr. you'd have to be pretty naive to think otherwise[/citation]

No, you have to be pretty naive and cynical to think that people become philanthropist's only for the PR. There are a lot of people with money who donate to the simple reason that they want to help others. The old man and Buffet have both been influential in his move towards philanthropy...or maybe he influenced Buffett.

candrwhite

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
I think as people get older, it's natural to look back on one's life and see what might have been. A real man accepts his choices and lives with them... Someone who is not, blames his misfortune on others.

universalremonster

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
bill gates only donates because he wants good pr. you'd have to be pretty naive to think otherwise

Actually, I'd say it's more like he isn't going to will his money to relatives after his death, and since he would be dead his money would do him no good anyways. Also, I think it is a way of taking money that would have already gone to the gov in taxes and redistributing it to places that he wants it to go. All these rich celebrities that you see giving tons of money to this cause or that, it's just directing money that they would have given up to the gov. anyways to someplace they would rather see have it. Which in my book is great, the government take from us enough as it is.

Why oh why couldn't I have been born as one of their sons? Even Allen's would have been good enough. I could have a easy do almost nothing job at Microsoft right now... instead of my easy do nothing job at *****. I could go home after a hard days of "work" and sleep on a pile of money next to my beautiful geeky girlfriends who love to debate and discuss philosophy
while playing RPGs, and strategy games. Damn you cruel fate! Damn you!

It appears as though this isn't a good choice either.. Here is a link to an interview in 2005 with ABC. At this point he has already donated 6 billion dollars to fighting disease. I'm certainly not saying I'm a huge Gates fan or anything, but even when your a multi billionaire, 6 billion $$ is still a truck load of cash to give away.

http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/GlobalHealth/story?id=1286093

realAMDfreak

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
Feel sorry for Bill's slave Bob Greenberg, Does anyone know where he is right now ? Did he make billions like Bill ? :)

Thieves copy, artists steal. Bill is definately an artist.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Who gives a shit about Bob Greenberg, he left in 1981 when Microsoft were still relatively nobodies. I'm sure plenty of people left Apple and Google during their early years and nobody cares about them either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS