Question MS-DOS & Gary Kildall's OS ?

Lamarr the Strelok

Commendable
Sep 29, 2022
I've watched quite a few docs about software history and OS histories but I can't find the answer to an important question. Generally IBM agreed to sell MS-DOS for about $40 and sell Gary Kildall's OS for$240.
My question is how much did Kildall and Gates charge IBM for their respective operating systems?
I think I have this situation generally correct but correct me if I'm wrong on anything.

IBM paid Microsoft a flat $430,000 to be able to license QDOS and rebrand it to PC-DOS. It was not a per-copy royalty, and it wasn't until Windows era in 1988 that Microsoft began charging a per-processor fee for all PCs made by an OEM, whether or not they shipped with a Microsoft product. All Microsoft demanded was to also be able to sell the OS on their own as MS-DOS. After they got the deal, they promptly bought QDOS/86-DOS from the company that developed it for $50,000.

I don't know about CP/M-86 but the asking price dropped to $60 by 1983. It was late arriving for 16-bit, and IBM offered to sell it for them in exchange for not suing about QDOS stealing the functions and appearance of 8-bit CP/M, so for all we know Kildall got the whole $240 per copy and was just too greedy. The price was so high only 3% of IBM PCs shipped with CP/M-86

zX64nAiw4WpGAjnF34q7TE_large.jpg

Reactions: Lamarr the Strelok