Question MS-DOS Medical Device

drhlis

Honorable
Jan 31, 2015
I have three medical devices, two of which are running Windows 7 and the third a form of MS-DOS. The combined cost of the three devices is $150,000. All three devices are connected directly to my Netgear Nighthawk R9000 router. The remaining 10 computers are running Windows 10 Pro and are connected the a 10GbE Smart Managed Switch.

I want to protect my network from security breaches/Ransomware when Windows 7 meets its “End Of Life” in Jan 2020.
The DOS based device is not a computer but is still capable of transmitting visual field test results to the server after the technician completes the testing procedure.
All three devices have IP @ MAC addresses .
I was thinking of connecting the three devices to a 1GbE Ethernet Switch via existing Cat 5e Ethernet cabling. Then connect the switch to a 1Gb network adapter card on a dedicated cpt running Win 10 Pro.
Then connect the dedicated computer to a Netgear Nighthawk (R9000) X10 via Millitronic MG360 USB3.0 Wireless WiGig (IEEE802.11ad/60GHz) Network Adapter for Netgear R9000 / XR700 Router, TPLink AD7200 and Asus ROG WiGig Dock, WiGig Dongle for Laptop, Windows 10 64-bit only.

If the desktop computer is running Windows 10 Professional with current Security Updates, will this configuration protect the three medical devices from being hacked into as the other other 10 workstations?
The MS-DOS device is incapable of browsing the Internet.
The other two Win 7 devices only access the internet during troubleshooting by the manufacturer.

Last edited by a moderator:

USAFRet

Titan
I have three medical devices, two of which are running Windows 7 and the third a form of MS-DOS. The combined cost of the three devices is $150,000. All three devices are connected directly to my Netgear Nighthawk R9000 router. The remaining 10 computers are running Windows 10 Pro and are connected the a 10GbE Smart Managed Switch.

Where is your dedicated on call network engineer?
What does s/he say about this?

drhlis

Honorable
Jan 31, 2015
Where is your dedicated on call network engineer?
What does s/he say about this?
You are replying to his question. I am still using Windows 7 Security Updates and power down the three devices during after hours. I figured on resolving this problem before the new year. The medical device manufacturer may also have some recommendations for those individuals who balk at buying newer devices.
I was thinking about buying a hardware firewall device as another option.

USAFRet

Titan
You are replying to his question. I am still using Windows 7 Security Updates and power down the three devices during after hours. I figured on resolving this problem before the new year. The medical device manufacturer may also have some recommendations for those individuals who balk at buying newer devices.
I was thinking about buying a hardware firewall device as another option.
Your IT person is asking these questions?
If so, you need a new IT person.

What you're asking is much too broad to be answered in a forum like this.