YATLA

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2002
I just bought a Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router and Linksys USB wireless adaptor in advance of getting a broadband connection to make sure that I have my home LAN working before the broadband is installed. Now, I am trying to use MS Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) to share a dialup connection, but can't seem to make this work with the router.
My host is XP Pro and the client is 98SE. I tried the ICS wizard and used the install disk but cannot get to the internet from the client. The LAN is working ok as I can share files/printers, and even have the ICS icon on the client machine. I can use the client IE to see files on the host and can see the router config pages from the client, but can't seem to get to the internet. Can add alot more detail, but am thinking that the router screws up ICS somehow. Is there a router configuration that I need to adjust? I've tried both wireless and hardwire ethernet connection to the router and have no luck with ICS....tired of pinging about to test connections...
Can't wait to get broadband....

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i assume your getting an ip address from the router, try assining the ips manually but dont set the default gateway.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015

YATLA

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2002
With ICS, the host IP is set manually at 192.168.0.1. I have the router set at 192.168.0.10 and the router setting other IPs starting at 192.168.0.100. Also, tried setting the client IP at 192.168.0.100 mannualy. I have tried setting the gateway to the host IP, or leaving it blank.

Do you know if ICS works with routers? I read somewhere that ICS works via setting up ports, but don't understand this, and wonder if the router is messing up port settings.
Also, I installed Norton Internet security that came with the router. I've tried turning off Norton and that didn't make a difference. I have set for Norton to allow communications on the LAN in range 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.150.

YATLA

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2002
Here's a qoute from a MS webpage on ICS
"Make sure that there are no other DHCP providers on the network, such as an Internet gateway device. Any such device should be on the outisde segment of the network - between the host computer and in the internet, not between the host and the internal network."
Now, the router has DHCP enabled. Should I turn off the router DHCP? If so, will the wireless card see the DHCP server that ICS provides on the host? I don't think I've tried that yet. Does the router effect the LAN itself, or does it just route the WLAN connection?

YATLA

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2002
Well, I solved the puzzle. I turned off DHCP serving on the router, kept auto IP assign on the client, and have the client gateway as 192.168.0.1 (the host). Without assigning the gateway, the router IP was defauling for the gateway instead of the host. I am writing this note from the client PC. One more battle won...