MS Office 2013 constantly crashing

marvindash

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2014
Hi all,

I have a problem that recently started with MS Office 2013. I boot up my PC (Windows 8.1) and when I try to open MS Outlook nothing happens. Clicking a second time it will come up with a message saying there's a problem and to go online for more information. Ultimately the only way to fix it is to go into the Control Panel, click Uninstall Program, and then click Change rather than Uninstall, and do the Online Repair (the quick option offline doesn't work). The Online Repair takes a good 10-15 minutes but works, and then everything seems fine. Until I reboot, when it starts again. Anti-virus scan with Windows Defender and anti-spyware scan with Superantispyware reveal no issues. Any ideas what's going on? It seems to me (as a technically illiterate individual) that something has corrupted and isn't working correctly at start-up.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
I use an older version of MS Office... but every time I've had problems in the past (with Outlook crashing) it was the result of a 3rd party Add-on that was installed into my Outlook. Since you have having the same issue.. that could be the reason for your crashing, too... You need to go to the section where addons are located and disable the ones installed by other programs... otherwise the problem will just come back.. even after a reinstall of Office.... assuming you have a similar problem.. and in the future don't allow other programs to install addons.

marvindash

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2014

Thanks for your response. It came preinstalled and when doing the online repair it effectively reinstalls it.

Charles_Trooper

Commendable
Feb 20, 2016

Hello, Im new to the community, however I am in the middle of receiving my Microsoft Office certificates and I've received Microsoft Word 2010 certifications, however I am very well known to the 2013 version.

There has been a lot of problems with Windows 2013 and Windows 8. I've done some research and these steps will help solve your problem! : )
Also did you enable the printer add-in? its very buggy on windows 8.

Method 1

Start Word in safe mode and verify the result. Follow the below mentioned steps to start Office application in safe mode:

* Hold Windows key + R.
* Copy and paste, or type the following command in the Open box, and then press Enter:
WinWord /safe
Note: There is space between WinWord and '/'.

If Word safe works, disable the add-ins following steps mentioned below and determine the problem causing add-in:
a) Click on File menu, click Options, Add-ins, Go button besides Manage: Com-in Add.
b) Check if there are add-ins listed, clear the checkbox.
c) Close the Office program and restart it.
d) Disable each add-in one at a time, restart the Word, and repeat the above procedure. If the issue reappears again, it will help you to determine which add-in is causing this issue.

Method 2

Follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the section ‘Let me fix it myself’ from the following KB article and verify the result.
Navigate and delete Data and Options registry entry.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822005
Note: Ensure to back up the registry before trying any troubleshooting in registry and look for 15.0 instead of 14.0.

Method 3

Change the default printer to Microsoft XPS Document Writer or OneNote and veriify th result.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/set-change-your-default-printer

If issue still persists, check and post back the error report logged in Event Viewer for better assistance:

To open Event Viewer, press and hold the Windows + R key on the keyboard. In the Run open box type in ‘eventvwr’ (without the quotes) and click on OK.