MS software wavetable synthesizer

I've just bought a new Dell machine with onboard sound. I'd like to be able
to tweak the synth as I was able to do with my old AWE 32- I have a custom
..sf2 soundfont with some custom samples and patches. The AWE 32 had a control
panel which provided controls for this; how does the MS XP SW WT synth handle
this? I suspect it's one of the .exe's in the system folder, but I've been
able to find precisely SQUAT about the MS synth AT ALL in MS's so-called
'knowledge base.'
The default .sf2 appears to be zipped in C:\I386\Driver.cab - 2gmgsmt.sf2,
which makes perfect sense, if you know midi. Any help would be much
appreciated.
Note: Due to a misunderstanding in an earlier post, I must point out that
this is an advanced audio question; I'm not referring to the windows bleeps
and bloops, this is an issue with the MS software wavetable synth installed
with WinXP.

Thanks

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:45:01 -0800, tooltroll wrote:

> I suspect it's one of the .exe's in the system folder, but I've been
> able to find precisely SQUAT about the MS synth AT ALL in MS's so-called
> 'knowledge base.'

There isn't much in Windows besides what is provided in Volume Controls. If
you need finer tuning, downloading the mixer for your sound card should
give you the added control that you want.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

If you dont find a way then
you should get a soundcard that supports this
Soundcards are cheap if you dont buy the latest and greatest models.

I use a yamaha XG card that is old but has great midi sounds because it
has extended general midi. The sounds are far superior than plain general
midi.
I think I could use soundfonts with it but I have never needed to.

If I was to buy a new card I would get an XG one again.