MS Surface Pro X, best docking station for dual 4k?

ilian11

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
Upgrading my office station to MS Surface Pro X and I need some help selecting a good docking station and was hoping I can get some recommendations.

I have a two monitor setup... a 24 inch and a 31.5 inch monitor. I would like 60 Hz to each display, charge the Pro X and need minimum 4 USB connections. Rather not employ additional display adapter if not necessary.

Does anyone have any recommendations ? The MS Docking Station is out of the question, it does not support minimum resolution of 2560x1440 that I need for one of my monitors plus in dual monitor "mode" the refresh rate drops to 30 Hz.

Much appreciated! Thanks!

It is so new and there is so little about it that I can't tell you for sure if any can do it. I can't even find if that CPU in the Pro X can support 2 4K screens at 60Hz.

You could try a USB-C type dock but it would most likely require third party drivers and in all honesty those tend to not perform as well and probably would not charge the Surface. You would have to most likely use the proprietary connection for charging and all the features you require.

ilian11

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
I read on WindowsCentral that it does support dual 4k external monitors at 60 Hz. I ordered a docking station, universal-ish one. The Pro X ships Friday. Let's hope it works out as planned.

I did read that the Microsoft dock is supposed to be able to do 2 4K monitors but I have no way of being able to say for sure the Pro X will considering it is an ARM based chip and not an x86. Most modern Intel or AMD CPUs can easily output 2 4K displays at 60Hz. But most ARM chips are designed for ULP applications like tablets or phones so the GPU doesn't focus on multiple displays.