MS Updates not functioning after Windows 7 reinstallation

JMcEwan

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
I have a Dell XPS 8300 computer. When I purchased the computer I bought a Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit reinstallation DVD with key code. I upgraded this computer to Windows 10, but experienced repeated difficulties with installing updates. The last update I installed produced a white screen on the computer. I decided to replace the two hard drives in this computer with 1 TB SSD's. I replaced the drives and reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate. Everything with the exception of the Windows Update and Windows Live Mail works well. I am unable to update this computer. When I click Update Windows I get the update screen with scrolling green image in the icon bar, but nothing happens. I tried the Fix Windows 7 Update Problems in the Windows Control Panel without success. I am not anxious to reinstall Windows 10, given the problems I encountered. Dell specifically states that this computer has not been tested for compatibility with Windows 10.

One other problem I encountered was with Windows Live Essentials. I downloaded these programs for the Windows Live Mail program. On the day that I installed windows I configured the Live Mail program, which work properly, and was receiving emails. The following day I noted that all of the programs that were downloaded in Windows Live Essentials were no longer present in the Start Menu/All Programs listing. I did nothing to delete any of these programs.

I was surprised that Windows 7 did not prompt to be activated following installation. I right clicked the Windows start button and selected properties, but there was no indication that I needed to activate this version of Windows 7. I have the key code and I did not change the motherboard. I don't understand why the Windows Update program is not working, nor what I can do to solve problem. I'm wondering if it has to do with the fact that I was unable to activate Windows 7. I am told by Dell Support that my copy is activated. Microsoft states Windows 7 is running in a basic version that does not permit downloads given the fact that I didn’t supply activation information. If this is the case would the program indicate that it was activated in the software? Microsoft tells me that a modification of the reconfiguration key is required as the hard drives were changed SSD’s, and that this must be performed by Dell. Unfortunately, this is denied by Dell Support.

Does anyone have any solutions to this problem? Thank you for your help.

JMcEwan

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016

JMcEwan

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
It says Windows is activated, but I did not supply the key code to activate the OS. I tried right clicking the Start Menu and selecting properties. The necessary window for activation did not appear. Perhaps windows is operating in a reduced functionality mode. It makes no sense that windows should be activated as I did nothing to activate the program. Hope this proves helpful. Thanks for your insight.

USAFRet

Titan

Again:
From where did you obtain this "Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit reinstallation DVD with key code." ?

JMcEwan

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016

JMcEwan

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
The basic problem is that I am unable to download Microsoft updates. In addition, the Microsoft live mail program was removed from my computer approximately one day after it was installed. It had been working properly. I did not remove it.