[SOLVED] MS7613, PCI Express x16 dead?

pnvr8e

Prominent
Jan 24, 2021
Motherboard: MS 7613 version 1.1(this is v1.0 https://support.hp.com/ph-en/document/c02014355)
GPU: Radeon HD 7450

The 7613 was already 'picky' when it came to GPUs. I had a couple of 1GB ddr3 GPUs that didn't work: one was just a black screen as the CPU continued to Windows and the other would crash every time the CPU detected the GPU as it switched to a higher resolution. I forgot their brands and model numbers. The 7450 worked well until yesterday when it was just a black screen as the CPU would proceed to Windows. The fan still spins though. I've reseated the RAM, GPU, and whatever I can reseat over and over again to no avail. The same goes for removing the CMOS batt for 10seconds, repeating this process and holding the power button with the power cable removed, brushing the PCI Express x16 for dust, cleaning the contacts of the 7450, and moving the jumper to clear CMOS. I have a DDR2 256MB GPU that was a backup and working but that is just a spinning fan without the signal now too. The PCI Express x16 must be dead.

I can use the built in GPU of the 7613. I'm not into gaming and the 7613 is used for YouTube and online classes but, of course, I would rather that the CPU do less work and have better graphics and video from a GPU. An external GPU is something I've thought of, I'm not sure if it would work. Could the damage to the PCI Express x16 affect the PCI Express x1 and minicard?

I just checked Device Properties and my wireless adaptor in the minicard is still detected so the minicard connection must still be OK. How can I check if the PCI Express x1 slots still work? I do not have anything to test them with.

The 7613 has DVI and VGA slots. The VGA works but the DVI has no signal. I have never used the built in DVI before as my 7450 still worked. It was only yesterday too that I realized that the DVI slot was not working.

Is there still a way to fix the PCI Express x16 and/or DVI slot?

Last edited:
Solution
SOLVED!
The DVI cable I use is braided, heavy, and too long. Whenever I remove-reconnect it to the DVI port of the 7613, I sometimes get a notification that a new device/connection was found only for it to disconnect in seconds. I don't have a spare DVI cable but I found a VGA to DVA adaptor. My 7450 is now working and connected to the VGA port of my monitor via VGA cable with the DVI to VGA adaptor. New (lighter and shorter) DVI cable will ordered soon.

pnvr8e

Prominent
Jan 24, 2021
SOLVED!
The DVI cable I use is braided, heavy, and too long. Whenever I remove-reconnect it to the DVI port of the 7613, I sometimes get a notification that a new device/connection was found only for it to disconnect in seconds. I don't have a spare DVI cable but I found a VGA to DVA adaptor. My 7450 is now working and connected to the VGA port of my monitor via VGA cable with the DVI to VGA adaptor. New (lighter and shorter) DVI cable will ordered soon.

Solution