[SOLVED] MSASCuil.exe (windows anti-virus) suddenly showed up in "start up" of task manager; how do i get rid of it

barkersofgeraldine

Reputable
Nov 11, 2020
Hi y'all, i know windows anti virus can't be disabled or removed, but MSASCuil was never on task manager until i installed malwarebytes, which i think is what triggered it to show up there

how do i remove it? it bothers me because its the only listed item without an icon on task manager.

Solution
Even though Msascuil.exe is a legitimate executable file, there might be a malicious version of it on the cyberspace. Note that the Microsoft file should be located in C:\Program Files\Windows Defender directory. If you can find it in random places on your system, it might be malware disguised as an original program.

If you are still concerned about Msascuil.exe, you can additionally take a look at the size of the file. Typically, it should vary from 483,840 bytes to 631,808 bytes depending on the version of Windows OS. Also, be aware that this program does not open a visible window once clicked.
link

try running an AV scan with something like https://www.bitdefender.com.au/solutions/free.html since it showed after...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Even though Msascuil.exe is a legitimate executable file, there might be a malicious version of it on the cyberspace. Note that the Microsoft file should be located in C:\Program Files\Windows Defender directory. If you can find it in random places on your system, it might be malware disguised as an original program.

If you are still concerned about Msascuil.exe, you can additionally take a look at the size of the file. Typically, it should vary from 483,840 bytes to 631,808 bytes depending on the version of Windows OS. Also, be aware that this program does not open a visible window once clicked.
link

try running an AV scan with something like https://www.bitdefender.com.au/solutions/free.html since it showed after removing another AV, might help to get a 2nd opinion.

Solution