Question MSATA 2 or NVME for HP Pavilion - 14-bf105ne

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
it's not easy to find the information regarding to M.2 support for that laptop.
But initially, if it does support M.2, I can almost certainly guarantee it won't support NVME drives and only SATA drives.

But you can post in the HP Community forums stating your question as whether or not it will support M.2 sata and giving the exact model number of your laptop like you have here.

Also, NVME is worthless and wasted on a laptop even if it does support it.

Here's the community forum for HP.
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/bd-p/Hardware

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
or, alternatively, if it doesn't support M.2, then the only way you'll get SSD is to get a 2.5" SSD.
I am not quite sure what thickness is required for that laptop, but it looks like it'll support up to 9mm, but it's possible it could be 7mm. Should follow up with that question if the answer comes back as a no for the M.2.

But getting a 2.5" SSD will have you either downgrading to 500GB in size, or spending a small chunk of money for 1TB or more.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I also saw on a post in there about this (because I googled it to try and help you) was that someone asked about the HP-14 laptop supporting M.2 and was told yes, but then they took it to a computer place and they opened it up and inside there was no M.2 support.
Which is kind of weird, so could be the best way to absolutely make sure it has M.2 support or not is to take off the bottom back panel of the laptop and look inside.

Feb 22, 2019
I also saw on a post in there about this (because I googled it to try and help you) was that someone asked about the HP-14 laptop supporting M.2 and was told yes, but then they took it to a computer place and they opened it up and inside there was no M.2 support.
Which is kind of weird, so could be the best way to absolutely make sure it has M.2 support or not is to take off the bottom back panel of the laptop and look inside.

Dear. I opened back panel and discover port with 5 contact wide / 5 pin wide. that is made for M-key edge connector. It looks like it will be connected using M keyed connector that might be NVME. please let me know if M2 available in M-Keyed or not.
Also will B + M keyed edge connector (M.2) work here?? also i am unable to put picture here.

I have posted on hp community but unable to get answer of above question. Can you answer on https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...-support-M-2-sata-HP-Pavilion-14/td-p/7028496 . i have posted picture there.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
as they said in the other forum, NVME will not work.
You CANNOT use NVME SSD in that laptop since it doesn't support it.

NVME isn't simply a different connector, it uses the same physical pin connection as a SATA based M.2, but where NVME differs is that it usually uses PCIe lanes and not SATA lanes.

And both the connector on the motherboard, and the BIOS have to be made to support that, and your laptop does not have such support.

You can use any standard SATA based M.2 SSD.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019
as they said in the other forum, NVME will not work.
You CANNOT use NVME SSD in that laptop since it doesn't support it.

NVME isn't simply a different connector, it uses the same physical pin connection as a SATA based M.2, but where NVME differs is that it usually uses PCIe lanes and not SATA lanes.

And both the connector on the motherboard, and the BIOS have to be made to support that, and your laptop does not have such support.

You can use any standard SATA based M.2 SSD.

Sir, Let me know how to fix in. Will i have to do labelled side down so that 5 pin side fit in.???

compprob237

Distinguished
Hi all,
I just purchased an HP Pavilion - 14-bf105ne https://support.hp.com/sg-en/document/c05933385 . it is an 8th gen core i5. Not with as much speed as it has to be.
I want to upgrade with MSATA or NVME. Can anybody help that what type of sata m.2 should be used.
It's an M.2 SATA port so you would not get any benefit from an NVMe drive. Therefore, a Crucial MX500 M.2 SATA or Samsung 860 EVO M.2 SATA, for example, should work fine. They're basically a regular SSD in a different form factor. It appears you have an M.2 B+M key socket which does throw a small wrench in the works as far as compatibility goes. These M.2 SSDs have two key notches in the contacts. The two aforementioned M.2 SATA SSDs are B+M key so they will work.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05527168
Page 9/90 for the top of the table. Next page for "Support for M.2 SATA SSD [check mark for 8th gen, discrete]" -> The Pavilion 14-bf105 series laptops. The "ne" at the end simply denotes the sub-configuration. Page 35/90 for disassembly. Page 43/90 for the M.2 SATA drive.

EDIT:
I want to make certain you're aware that MSATA is not the same as M.2 SATA. They're different form factors.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019
It's an M.2 SATA port so you would not get any benefit from an NVMe drive. Therefore, a Crucial MX500 M.2 SATA or Samsung 860 EVO M.2 SATA, for example, should work fine. They're basically a regular SSD in a different form factor. It appears you have an M.2 B+M key socket which does throw a small wrench in the works as far as compatibility goes. These M.2 SSDs have two key notches in the contacts. The two aforementioned M.2 SATA SSDs are B+M key so they will work.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05527168
Page 9/90 for the top of the table. Next page for "Support for M.2 SATA SSD [check mark for 8th gen, discrete]" -> The Pavilion 14-bf105 series laptops. The "ne" at the end simply denotes the sub-configuration. Page 35/90 for disassembly. Page 43/90 for the M.2 SATA drive.

EDIT:
I want to make certain you're aware that MSATA is not the same as M.2 SATA. They're different form factors.

Thanks for the nice advice. Actually I only have one side 5 contact wide socket. M keyed port only. So i do not have idea that whether it has to use labelled side down to fit in 5 contact wide. it will be great if you can see it in following link and advise me. motherboard pic is there.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...t-M-2-sata-HP-Pavilion-14/m-p/7029567#M501702

Last edited:

compprob237

Distinguished
Thanks for the nice advice. Actually I only have one side 5 contact wide socket. M keyed port only. So i do not have idea that whether it has to use labelled side down to fit in 5 contact wide. it will be great if you can see it in following link and advise me. motherboard pic is there.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...t-M-2-sata-HP-Pavilion-14/m-p/7029567#M501702
That's a B key notch not M key. B+M key is universal (those two M.2 SATA SSDs I mentioned are B+M key). Also, the keying is designed specifically so it's impossible to install it wrong by making them different sizes (5 vs 6 pins).
As @QwerkyPengwen said, you typically install the chip label side up.

Feb 22, 2019
That's a B key notch not M key. B+M key is universal (those two M.2 SATA SSDs I mentioned are B+M key). Also, the keying is designed specifically so it's impossible to install it wrong by making them different sizes (5 vs 6 pins).
As @QwerkyPengwen said, you typically install the chip label side up.
here the link

compprob237

Distinguished
I did a little more research and matching up the pins was a mistake. The back side of the M.2 PCB is short by 1 pin. Therefore, that M.2 slot should have the drive installed with the label facing away from the motherboard.

I borrowed this picture and modified it for my purposes from a VANTEC UGT-M2PC200 which is a dual M.2 M Key NVMe PCIe + M.2 B Key SATA AHCI to PCIe adapter card. I rotated the bottom slot so that it's oriented the same way for both slots so that you can see the differences better and have a reference for your motherboard.
7wriUTq.png

Now, unless your slot is reversed (Possible but non-standard) then the M.2 B Key should be installed with the label facing away from the motherboard. If it is a non-standard slot then the label would face the motherboard and it is actually an M Key slot.